94 Vmax 600 manual, chain-case help

Turbopete

Is it possible to have a copy of the service manual for a 94 Vmax? I paid for the VIP membership, but not showing? I didn’t pay enough attention taking the chain case apart, and want to be sure it is right. Non reverse case.

I thought the thin washer went on the lower shaft between the bearing and gear, then thin spacer/washer/bolt. Top, thick collar inside and out. With a straight edge I am slightly off. If I put the thin washer against the upper bearing, followed by the thick collar/gear/collar, then on the bottom, just the gear against the bearing, thin collar/washer/ bolt, the alignment is spot on. The parts fiche is a bit confusing as it shows a thin washer both top and bottom, and quite sure I only had one. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

I received the 94 VMax 600 manual from TY a coupke of months ago and can forward if it is ok with the moderator.

Thank you all, I have the manual now. This chaincase is kicking my butt, and in searching the net, I see a lot of people seem to have trouble figuring out the shims.

94 shows the only thin spacer between the lower gear and the bearing. 95 shows a thin spacer both top and bottom. Its my own fault for rushing, tearing apart 2 sleds at the same time and not paying enough attention. As I said, I can get everything lined up perfectly (using a straight edge against the chaincase) using the thin washer on the top against the bearing followed by one thick collar/bearing/collar. On bottom, just gear against the bearing, thin collar outside/washer/bolt. If i use the thin washer on the lower sprocket as I had initially thought it should be ( and correct by the manual), it just doesn’t line up or look right. The 96 parts fiches shows it as I find works for me. 94/95/96 all slightly different!

Surely there are guys on here that have had many of these apart, I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Last edited:
Haven't torn my 94 chain case apart but the exploded parts diagram shows one thin (.9mm) shim washer on bottom and none on top for the non reverse chain case. The 95 diagram shows a thin (.9mm) washer shim on bottom and a thicker one (1.6mm) on top. The 94/95 VMax standard models offered a reverse add on kit that bolted to the upper part of the non reverse chain case. The chain cases show slightly different shaft configurations for the upper gear. The 94 has a short splined upper shaft inside the chain case that couples to the jackshaft on the exterior. The 95 jackshaft extends through the chain case supporting the upper gear. The 94's upper splined shaft has a circlip and a collar between the bearing and the gear. The 95 has the thicker washer shim and collar between the bearing and the gear. The thicker washer/shim on the 95 appears to make up for the circlip on the 94. So for the standard 94 chain case it shows bearing, collar, circlip, gear, collar. The 95 shows bearing, 1.6mm washer shim, collar, gear, collar. Both have the thinner .9mm washer shim on the bottom. It is a little confusing because the 94/95 VMax also came with a completely different reverse chain case as well. Looks like they offered an upgrade kit for the standard chain case on non reverse models and a full reverse chain case on models that came standard with reverse. Not sure if this helps

Thanks for taking an interest and replying. I believe I have not much choice but to assemble it as in the 96 diagram. The straight edge across the chaincase tells me this is how the gears are best aligned. When i first assembled it, it was as in the parts fiche for 94 with the thin washer between the bottom bearing and gear, but I noticed just looking at it that something was off. There was a noticeable misalignment, this is why I started checking further. The only other thing I wonder is if there is a slight difference in the aftermarket new lower bearing. Shouldn’t be, but I can’t assemble it in a way that I can see things are not aligned, regardless of the manual. I just figured on here there would be guys that have done many of these and would have some insight. Thanks

Another thing, I never saw any circlip or a groove for one anywhere on that upper shaft. Unless the diagram is misleading and it is on the back side, and actually on the other side of the bearing.

I have checked this morning and I have a one piece jackshaft, perhaps it was changed at some point and this is why I am not matching up shim wise with the 94 diagram.

Last edited:
Hard to say when exactly Yamaha introduced the change. Certainly possible that some of the 94's came with the newer configuration especially if there were any issues with the earlier design.

Back