What's a good 4 stroke alternative to the 2001/2 era SRX?

WildMax

VIP Member
I only run my SRXs on groomed winding mountain trails, usually 100 mile runs with few stops. They are set up for aggressive rally track style riding, have modified engines and are dialed in for what we use them for. If I want to ride off trail I have other sleds for that. My question: Which of the Yamaha 4 strokes (from RX-1 and on) would perform similar to the SRX with regards to holding the curves and have the same quickness? I was thinking about adding another sled to the fleet but want it to run with the SRXs. We had a new Sidewinder SRX run with us but it did not handle the sharp turns and fell behind. Lightening fast on the straights, though. Not looking for accolades to the SRX, just some insight. Thanks.

My understanding is that the Sidewinder SRX is the closest you get today. But the older RX1's and APEX's are built more like an old SRX, low seating and no rider forward, so they might be better. Very long time since I rode an RX1 and never been on an APEX so can't really tell. Much of the secret to the speed of the SRX's in those conditions is low suspension and wide ski stance, probably an RX1 or APEX could be setup to be pretty quick, they also have the top speed but probably heavier and maybe a bit to tall suspension in stock form.

That old SRX was a great handling sled with plenty of HP. The no action pro action skid with a couple of inches of travel was only good on flat trails. That SRX was a tank at 540 pounds or so. I have thousands of miles and loved those sleds. I will say I don't miss them a bit.

I cant imagine an SRX beating a cat/winder in any conditions other than RALLY style. Keep in mind many riders don't set up their suspensions....... so who knows what your guy was doing.
You said rally style. Any modern sled would need to be configured like an oval sled. lowered with two three inches like the SRX.
I would think the SR Viper pro cross chassis set up correctly lowered to complete would surprise you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azU97XRy8Fk

---mac---

That old SRX was a great handling sled with plenty of HP. The no action pro action skid with a couple of inches of travel was only good on flat trails. That SRX was a tank at 540 pounds or so. I have thousands of miles and loved those sleds. I will say I don't miss them a bit.

I cant imagine an SRX beating a cat/winder in any conditions other than RALLY style. Keep in mind many riders don't set up their suspensions....... so who knows what your guy was doing.
You said rally style. Any modern sled would need to be configured like an oval sled. lowered with two three inches like the SRX.

I would think the SR Viper pro cross chassis set up correctly lowered to complete would surprise you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azU97XRy8Fk

---mac---

And how much do these new 4 strokes weigh ??

all the 4 stroke sleds are taller than the srx other than the 03/04 rx witch are not as tall as the new stuff. the modern sr viper/sidewinder/srx needs a bit of setting and possibly skis to handle as good as the old srx in the twistys. all the 4 strokes will need some fine tuning for the intended riding conditions but can be made to handle almost as well as the old ones but the suspensions are so much better now that it should make up the diference.

A properly setup RX1 will do the trick. They are cheap and everyone knocks them but if running right and setup to be free rolling on high speed corners they will carve as good as anything. More on the big end than an Apex and simpler all around. They have legs as long as an SRX and can be a hell of a lot of fun.

Turbo sleds are just in a different class in a straight line and most are not setup like an SRX. They have the power to dominate everywhere. Ran a couple Winders on the river a couple years ago with the Vmax-4. I was setup for it. They were stock in suspension but studded and had enough on the skis to turn on ice. I could run over them in the corners they pulled the straights. Once I got out front I could stay there until there was a long enough straight to catch up. One had a 250 tune in it and he was fast. The will run out of gear if stock before the SRX of Vmax-4 so if you're right you can get them back there too.

opsled

544lbs Dry......Wet over 600 or close..

not as much as weight difference as some would think. i see someone mentioned above the srx is about 540. you also have to consider here you have added weight from a longer track and tunnel. if someone were to have a long tracked srx the wet weight would be closer. plus the fact that the viper has reverse and electric start to add weight, i didn’t think they are all that heavy “ for what you get “ in comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not as much as weight difference as some would think. i see someone mentioned above the srx is about 540. you also have to consider here you have added weight from a longer track and tunnel. if someone were to have a long tracked srx the wet weight would be closer. plus the fact that the viper has reverse and electric start to add weight, i didn’t think they are all that heavy “ for what you get “ in comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the SRX had E start and a longer track the weight would be close.My 04 RXwarrior is 680 wet,my 14 Phazer RTX is 552 wet so the fourstroke could lose 15-20 lbs if no need for E start but thats dreaming.Remembering i guy i knew locally in the late 1990s stating the mountain SRX needed $10000CDN of mods to make it any good in the rocky mountains of British Columbia where he worked.

Had many a SRX. Went to a Turbo'd Viper and now a Sidewinder. Set up right the Procross chassis handles pretty darn good. Alot of people just don't take the time to set them up right. Not much is going to out handle a SRX on a tight groomed trail but I'm faster overall pretty much everwhere on my Sidewinder, especially when you throw in some bumps.

The Sidewinder is the first Yamaha that has aroused my yearning since the end of the 2 stroke triples. I have to believe that almost 20 years of engineering and technology since has produced an amazing machine. I think you are correct in the fellow riding with us probably did not have the chassis set up for what we rode as he was from the "flat-lands". Plus, we had home field advantage and knew the trails. The whole ordeal got me wondering thus I asked the question. Appreciate your insight.

The Sidewinder is the first Yamaha that has aroused my yearning since the end of the 2 stroke triples. I have to believe that almost 20 years of engineering and technology since has produced an amazing machine. I think you are correct in the fellow riding with us probably did not have the chassis set up for what we rode as he was from the "flat-lands". Plus, we had home field advantage and knew the trails. The whole ordeal got me wondering thus I asked the question. Appreciate your insight.

They have their issues but really nothing that can't be overcome. Some people blow belts bad. I'm running Hurricane tunes with Ulmer clutching and have yet to blow a belt. The stock skis are absolute garbage in my opinion and push dangerously. They didn't have snotrackers for them when I switched to Curves so maybe they can be made to turn with snotrackers. Mines the 17 ltx le so I have the premium QS3r's. Only thing I did was switch to a heavier center shock spring this year. Other than that the cat chaincase has its quirks and needs annual inspection and driveline bearings need annual inspection, typical preventative maintenance goes a long ways

My understanding is that the Sidewinder SRX is the closest you get today. But the older RX1's and APEX's are built more like an old SRX, low seating and no rider forward, so they might be better. Very long time since I rode an RX1 and never been on an APEX so can't really tell. Much of the secret to the speed of the SRX's in those conditions is low suspension and wide ski stance, probably an RX1 or APEX could be setup to be pretty quick, they also have the top speed but probably heavier and maybe a bit to tall suspension in stock form.

But I believe these are about 18,000. wow.

My buddys and I have Apexs. Unless you're doing a lot of off trail, and from what I here the SRX was a trail machine, that is where it shined, I'd say the Apex or the Sidewinder is what you want. Take the time and set it up for you and the trails you ride! Many times, we run the trails and not many people keep up when we run harder that normal. Weight is just a hindrance when you can't get the traction. The Apex has plenty of power, and plus some (the Sidewinder has even more), to move any track and stud combo you put under it.

Back