Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good 4 stroke alternative to the 2001/2 era SRX?

Default What's a good 4 stroke alternative to the 2001/2 era SRX?

I only run my SRXs on groomed winding mountain trails, usually 100 mile runs with few stops. They are set up for aggressive rally track style riding, have modified engines and are dialed in for what we use them for. If I want to ride off trail I have other sleds for that. My question: Which of the Yamaha 4 strokes (from RX-1 and on) would perform similar to the SRX with regards to holding the curves and have the same quickness? I was thinking about adding another sled to the fleet but want it to run with the SRXs. We had a new Sidewinder SRX run with us but it did not handle the sharp turns and fell behind. Lightening fast on the straights, though. Not looking for accolades to the SRX, just some insight. Thanks.
    They always run best just before the melt down.

My understanding is that the Sidewinder SRX is the closest you get today. But the older RX1's and APEX's are built more like an old SRX, low seating and no rider forward, so they might be better. Very long time since I rode an RX1 and never been on an APEX so can't really tell. Much of the secret to the speed of the SRX's in those conditions is low suspension and wide ski stance, probably an RX1 or APEX could be setup to be pretty quick, they also have the top speed but probably heavier and maybe a bit to tall suspension in stock form.
    /Thomas

2001 SRX 700

That old SRX was a great handling sled with plenty of HP. The no action pro action skid with a couple of inches of travel was only good on flat trails. That SRX was a tank at 540 pounds or so. I have thousands of miles and loved those sleds. I will say I don't miss them a bit.

I cant imagine an SRX beating a cat/winder in any conditions other than RALLY style. Keep in mind many riders don't set up their suspensions....... so who knows what your guy was doing.
    You said rally style. Any modern sled would need to be configured like an oval sled. lowered with two three inches like the SRX.
    I would think the SR Viper pro cross chassis set up correctly lowered to complete would surprise you.

---mac---
    Most of my drinking buddies got riding problems.
    Snowmobiling..... the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    That old SRX was a great handling sled with plenty of HP. The no action pro action skid with a couple of inches of travel was only good on flat trails. That SRX was a tank at 540 pounds or so. I have thousands of miles and loved those sleds. I will say I don't miss them a bit.

I cant imagine an SRX beating a cat/winder in any conditions other than RALLY style. Keep in mind many riders don't set up their suspensions....... so who knows what your guy was doing.
    You said rally style. Any modern sled would need to be configured like an oval sled. lowered with two three inches like the SRX.

I would think the SR Viper pro cross chassis set up correctly lowered to complete would surprise you.

---mac---
    And how much do these new 4 strokes weigh ??
    -------------------------
    1997 Yamaha XTC
    700 Redhead, Mr. Viper ported, CPR pipes, SRX reeds, Heelclickers, Dual bulb, LT Ohlins

1997 700 SX
    Thinned head gasket, Gutted Airbox, Reed Spacers, Bender Pipes, Viper Shocks, 51/43 helix 89L weights

2004 Viper S
    SLP pipes, peak performance head,

2001 SRX 700
    Power Inc. Pipes, Loaded 8DN20's, Hauck Y 51/45

1997 Mountain Max 700
    Black XTC Hood, Thinned Head Gasket, Gutted Air Box, Reed Stopper Notch, SLP Pipes

all the 4 stroke sleds are taller than the srx other than the 03/04 rx witch are not as tall as the new stuff. the modern sr viper/sidewinder/srx needs a bit of setting and possibly skis to handle as good as the old srx in the twistys. all the 4 strokes will need some fine tuning for the intended riding conditions but can be made to handle almost as well as the old ones but the suspensions are so much better now that it should make up the diference.
    sleds
    540cc workhorse (vk 540)
    410cc reliable power (enticerII) rx tunnel braces
    500cc mutant margarita mixer (09 phazer rtx/x)
    1000cc of dependability (11 apex xtx)
    1000cc of yamaha excellence ( 16 apex xtx)

motorcycle's
    00 xt350 mod
    08 wr250x

atv
    2005 big bear pro

Senior Member Open Mod

A properly setup RX1 will do the trick. They are cheap and everyone knocks them but if running right and setup to be free rolling on high speed corners they will carve as good as anything. More on the big end than an Apex and simpler all around. They have legs as long as an SRX and can be a hell of a lot of fun.

Turbo sleds are just in a different class in a straight line and most are not setup like an SRX. They have the power to dominate everywhere. Ran a couple Winders on the river a couple years ago with the Vmax-4. I was setup for it. They were stock in suspension but studded and had enough on the skis to turn on ice. I could run over them in the corners they pulled the straights. Once I got out front I could stay there until there was a long enough straight to catch up. One had a 250 tune in it and he was fast. The will run out of gear if stock before the SRX of Vmax-4 so if you're right you can get them back there too.

opsled
    I reserve the right to change my mind if someone can prove to me it needs replacing.

^^WHS 2003-04 rx1 with proaction skid would be pretty close to a srx
    AKA MikeXTX

New viper weight 544 lbs.

Shorty.jpg
    Most of my drinking buddies got riding problems.
    Snowmobiling..... the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Senior Member ProStock low slung's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    New viper weight 544 lbs.

Shorty.jpg
    544lbs Dry......Wet over 600 or close..

Plus you....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast