99 Phazer wont start with choke

Fordrulz

Hi guys! I have a 99 phazer that i can not get to start unless I put fuel into the carbs. So far I have drained quite a bit of water/fuel about 4 gallons from tank, I added some dry gas to tank once it was empty and added 2 or so gallons of fresh fuel. I have cleaned the carbs 2 times to make sure I haven't missed something, set the floats to "level", I have disassembled cleaned and reassembled fuel pump, adjusted choke cables, checked in tank fuel filter and line for restrictions, checked pulse line for restrictions all look ok, checked compression-130psi each cyl. So at this point I can start the sled by adding fuel to carbs but it wont idle without the choke on half. I put a vacuum gage on the pulse line and there is plenty of movement in the needle on gage. I also bypassed fuel tank and filters and put a supply line from fuel source to fuel pump and no fuel is being picked up. I am leaning to a fuel pump issue but the diaphragms all looked good???? I have tried to adjust the idle screws 1.5 turns out and it helped but still wont idle on its own or start with the choke it seems like it is not pulling enough fuel at idle or to start?? Kind of stumped and frustrated at this point!! Any help would be great Thanks!!!

Last edited:

It won't start unless you put fuel into the carbs? Or do you mean putting a little fuel down the spark plug holes? If you are actually pulling the carbs and adding fuel to the bowls and it runs until it depletes it and then they are empty and don't refill, then I'd think fuel pump as well.
If the fuel had water in it I'd make sure to get it completely empty and then put fresh in.
I know you said you cleaned the carbs twice, but I have to ask. Did you remove the pilot jets and hold them up to a light to make sure you could see a nice sharp ROUND hole through them? I've had many times that I couldn't get them clean by just spraying cleaner and air through them. Also want to spray cleaner through all the passages.

Yea I put fuel directly into carbs through cross over tube. I actually used a torch tip file to clean all the small carb ports. I just replced the fuel pump and can get it to start but there is definitely way too much fuel now! What is the float setting?? I set it to level but now I'm not sure that is correct? Thanks!

So this being twin is the float to be set at 24mm or 11.3-15mm? Also it does not seem correct to have the carbs upside down does it?? Don't mean to be a pain just want it right. Thanks Screenshot_20200128-182038_Samsung Internet.jpg

I would assume you can pull the fuel line off the carbs and pull it over to check if fuel comes out.

Float setting is shown as being 11.5mm in the Tech pages. What the instructions mean is to turn the carbs upside down (with them out of the sled and when wanting to measure the float height) so that the floats drop all the way down from gravity and stay that way while you measure. If you just set them to level it probably isn't correct.
Be aware also, I've seen pilot jets get reamed out to a bigger size by using a torch tip cleaner that was too big. A friend did this and it ran super rich (aka horrible) until he bought new pilot jets for it. If you had to slightly force the torch tip cleaner through them, they are probably a bigger size now.
Make sure fuel screws are set at spec too.

Any idea what the fuel screw settings should be set to? I have them at 1.5 turns out. I was careful when cleaning with torch tip cleaner but I'm wondering if the water in the fuel froze in the carbs possibly stretching of cracking the jets?? I can not rear the #s on and of the jets they appear scratched up. I could order a jet kit if I knew what sizes were factory is there any way to tell?? Thanks

The link A couple of bucks gave you is a great resource, it is a section in the TY Tech pages that shows stock specs for a multitude of sleds/years.
It shows that your pilots should be a 70, and the air screw setting is supposed to be .8 turns out from lightly seated. I believe you said you set yours at 1.5.
Get that float adjusted to spec, set the screw to .8 turns out and see whatcha get. Fingers crossed for you.

Back