SRX Hard To Start

There is also a very good chance that the hose+filter no longer reaches all the way to the bottom of the tank. It is probably a stiff and rather brittle hose. The old school black reinforced Dayco fuel line is a perfectly suitable replacement.

I know that the fuel lines on the sled are metric. What is a suitable hose to replace them with? I went to the local ATV dealer and requested metric fuel line the "kid" behind the counter looked at me like i was the idiot. So I ask you all what should i replace the fuel lines with? 1998 srx I need pulse line, carb lines, to tank line and in tank lines. I know a couple lines are different diameters.

Ok members you have all always been great help for everyone. Now I have a new problem. My 1998 Srx has been sitting for a few years. When I parked the sled a couple years back I put stabil in the tank and ran for about 10 minutes. Last year I had planned on getting a trip in but plans fell through. I cleaned the carbs a year back but never fired the sled up after. Now I'm trying to get the sled running for a trip in a couple weeks. I can not get the sled to fire up. I have spark and the sled will pop when I tried to use starting fluid. After pulling on the sled for what seemed like eternity last night I gave up. Today when i went out to the garage there was a puddle of oil under the sled. I looked around and the oil was coming out of the exhaust right at the engine. It was only coming out of the clutch side and middle pipes. Is this normal? And, what is an easy way to prime the carbs?

If you're sure the carbs are clean, put it back together and ensure you have at least a half tank of fresh fuel in the tank.

Pull the plugs, add a dribble of PRE-MIX into each hole, install plugs, full choke and light it up. You may have to do this one or two more times.
Do not use ether in a two stroke, ever.

Unless you're riding in the desert sands, your fuel filter will never need replacement due to dirt and the fuel pumps are notoriously robust.

Ok guys I had to wait on some Yamaha parts for the carbs. The carbs were cleaned all o rings and gaskets replaced. New fuel lines from the tank filter to the carbs and the pulse line. I filled up the tank gave it about 25 pulls on the recoil with no plugs. Let it sit over night to "dry out". The next day I put the exhaust back on to fire it up. I dribbled a little premix into the spark plug hole. Popped the plug back in. Choke on full. Gave it a pull and it fired off. It did not run but rather teased me with a very aggressive burn off of the premix. I went to give it another pull and I can not even pull the recoil anymore. Obvious something is seized, but I have no idea where to focus my search. Someone give me some good news please.

Crank faze? Bad fuel pump.. stator, good luck.... can you clutch by hand or small cheater?

Last edited:
Yes, pull the plugs out and then see if it will pull through (pull easy). If a bunch of fuel pukes out of the spark plug holes, get some rags and pull through until no more is spitting out. Seems odd it would be hydro-locked from fuel in the cylinders right after firing off, but check anyway. If it is because the cylinders are full of fuel, then something wasn't done right with the needle/orings.

I had to put this sled off to the side for a little bit to get the others running. Once I get back into it I will be right here to let y'all know.

Back