SRX Hard To Start

MBllnr

Ok members you have all always been great help for everyone. Now I have a new problem. My 1998 Srx has been sitting for a few years. When I parked the sled a couple years back I put stabil in the tank and ran for about 10 minutes. Last year I had planned on getting a trip in but plans fell through. I cleaned the carbs a year back but never fired the sled up after. Now I'm trying to get the sled running for a trip in a couple weeks. I can not get the sled to fire up. I have spark and the sled will pop when I tried to use starting fluid. After pulling on the sled for what seemed like eternity last night I gave up. Today when i went out to the garage there was a puddle of oil under the sled. I looked around and the oil was coming out of the exhaust right at the engine. It was only coming out of the clutch side and middle pipes. Is this normal? And, what is an easy way to prime the carbs?

Going to take more then two weeks.. It's needs a going through, top to bottom. It will live...……….

Murder, you're suggesting a rebuild of the carbs? Am I looking at that correctly?

Murder thanks for your input. I will rip it apart in the morning. Are you assuming the valve is sticking or the o-ring is bad and allowing oil to pass through?
Whammy, I wasn't ignoring your response. You say it'll need "going through, top to bottom". What is your speculation on what is going on? Thanks again guys.

Ok members you have all always been great help for everyone. Now I have a new problem. My 1998 Srx has been sitting for a few years. When I parked the sled a couple years back I put stabil in the tank and ran for about 10 minutes. Last year I had planned on getting a trip in but plans fell through. I cleaned the carbs a year back but never fired the sled up after. Now I'm trying to get the sled running for a trip in a couple weeks. I can not get the sled to fire up. I have spark and the sled will pop when I tried to use starting fluid. After pulling on the sled for what seemed like eternity last night I gave up. Today when i went out to the garage there was a puddle of oil under the sled. I looked around and the oil was coming out of the exhaust right at the engine. It was only coming out of the clutch side and middle pipes. Is this normal? And, what is an easy way to prime the carbs?

You still trying to use old gas? Pour some premix down the cylinders and pull some more, mine sat for a year and I pulled on that thing for about an hour before using premix and it fired up.

I agree with Chris.I would pull center plug pour small capful of pre-mix in ,it should pop or run on one cylinder,do this a cpl times switching cylinders till it will run on its own fuel.I have used this method for years.

The o rings can shrink up, letting too much fuel by, thus pouring raw fuel into motor and filling the pipe as well.

If you pulled on if forever with out if firing it will load with fuel/oil as well and leave it in the pipes.

First thing I would do is suck that old fuel out and replace with new, then carbs etc. and don't forget those small pilot holes, under the screens and so forth.

Starting fluid only in desperate times, premix only as stated above. There is no lube in starting fluid...

^This^ Old fuel simply won't fire and dumping new fuel on top of old fuel won't solve this either. Your best bet is to start fresh with a clean fuel system tank to carbs.

Pull the carbs like you have been told! It has been sitting even with stabil gas can go bad. Just save yourself the headache and pull them off go through them its very common to have your pilot jet clogged you'll never get it unclogged by pouring gas in the cylinders. While the carbs are off get rid of the gas thats in the tank SRX need Octane its a no go for fuel that has just been setting. It will run its THE BLUE DEVIL just take your time it better to go through it right then to be stuck on the trail.

Ok y'all so here's where I am. When the sled was stored up the carbs were clean, no fuel in them at all. The tank had a small amount of fuel in it. That fuel has already been dumped and replaced. When I pulled the carbs today they were still clean as a whistle. When I got the fuel lines disconnected there was no fuel in the lines after pulling on it for ever. I took the fuel line off the tank and blew into it. There was a little sputter then the fuel started flowing out. I'm going to guess that the line in the tank had some gunk in it causing a no fuel issue.
I cannot put as much time into working on the sled everyday like I'd like to but I am in end stage renal failure so my energy level isn't that of a normal 34 year old. Thanks again everyone for the input and suggestions. All of them are appreciated and helpful.
Mike

Ok y'all so here's where I am. When the sled was stored up the carbs were clean, no fuel in them at all. The tank had a small amount of fuel in it. That fuel has already been dumped and replaced. When I pulled the carbs today they were still clean as a whistle. When I got the fuel lines disconnected there was no fuel in the lines after pulling on it for ever. I took the fuel line off the tank and blew into it. There was a little sputter then the fuel started flowing out. I'm going to guess that the line in the tank had some gunk in it causing a no fuel issue.
I cannot put as much time into working on the sled everyday like I'd like to but I am in end stage renal failure so my energy level isn't that of a normal 34 year old. Thanks again everyone for the input and suggestions. All of them are appreciated and helpful.
Mike

it sounds like either the fuel line in the tank is plugged, fuel filter is plugged. or the fuel pump is bad. i’d also check the pulse line for the fuel pump. you could get a length of fuel line and run it from the fuel pump inlet into the gas cap opening, just make sure it’s submerged in gas and pull it over a few times, you should be able to see it ducking fuel thru the line if the fuel pump is working. if that’s the case you’ll need to check the fuel line in the tank for being clogged or possibly the fuel filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kastner, that was my next plan of attack. My question is HOW do I go about doing anything in the tank with such a little access point?

Remove your air box, pull of the fuel header (2 bolts) at the front of the tank, pull the fuel hose off the header, and secure a rope to it, then fish out your old filter and fuel line with a coat hanger, replace the filter, pull the rope to pull the hose back threw the forward header hole. Reconnect your hose, rebolt the header......

Just did in on my brother's sled.

Last edited:
Every year when I take my carbs off to clean them before hooking them back up I pressurize the it tank and let fuel come out the fuel pump and it always seems to have oil for quite some time. After blowing out the oil from the lines and reassembling she starts right up

Back