Yamaha VK 540 Reverse Problems

AL2

Hi everyone . I have a couple of 1988 VK 540's . On one it's very hard to get it into reverse if at all and the other one is not much better. Is this a common problem with these sleds and is there an easy fix or are the gears worn to bad? There is an adjustment rod on the leaver but that didn't seem to help much. Any suggestions as to what's going on with these transmissions?
Thanks Al

I know this was last year but a worn belt or too loose a belt will cause this. When you switch gears the belt grabs slightly and rotates the secondary part of a turn rotating the gears and locks it into gear. If the belt is worn, spacers in the secondary are not set properly or the center to center distance is off the secondary will not rotate for it to lock in gear.

I'd like to revisit this post, only one on the web where I can find reverse info on a 1988 VK540.
Just picked one up as a project, was told it has reverse and has reverse/flip sticker on the tunnel. I feel like a complete noob, but cant figure out for the life of me how to get it into reverse. The gear shifter only has "D" and "L" (Which shifts into no problem) but no indication for reverse. I know later models have the reverse in the middle of the D and L.
Any ideas on this, or am I missing something completely obvious. Thank you.

the chain case is the same on all the vk 540's as i have one from a 08 on my 88 as mine had failed before i got it. all the part # where the same other than the jack shaft and secondary clutch.

mine can be finiky to get into reverse and reverse is between high and low on mine as well. you are only supposed to shift it while the sled is running and too high an idle can cause shifting issues.

I tried this again tonight, ran the sled, and tried with both the track on the ground and elevated on a stand. I tried finding the reverse between high and low gears but could not find it at all.

As soon as I would put the shifter in the middle (between high and low), it would engage and spin the secondary clutch at a high rpm. Giving it a little throttle to try and find the gear or rock the sled back and forth, it would act as if it was in neutral and nothing would engage.

could a po have removed the gears for reverse due to a failure? seen this on a few old et340/400 t sleds.

Very possible a previous owner could have removed it, there have been many previous owners to my knowledge.

Are there any other tests/things I can do to try prior to opening the gear box, that would be the last resort.

i would try shifting it without the engine running and turning the secondary clutch by hand and see if you can feel it notching like it is trying to shift anywhere in the middle.

Figured I would post the end to my story.

Ended up opening the chaincase/transmission after being unable to figure out the problem otherwise. Turns out the bearings for the “reverse” shaft were completely shot, with the shaft basically bouncing around in the case and not engaging on nothing. Replaced the bearing and put everything back together, shifts through the three gears as smooth as butter and the big ol VK will reverse this winter instead of me having to muscle it around. Cost of about $60 for bearings and a few odds and ends of washers and a gasket.

Thank you all for your help.

Back