94 Vmax ST 600 Twin boggy of idle

SXViperNate

VIP Member
I picked up a 94 ST 600 twin last winter. Runs and idles good, but it feels boggy off idle. I think I have a new belt on it, or maybe the new belt is the spare, I'll check when i get home.

What are some other things I can check?
I have cleaned the carbs, has fresh gas, new hifax, and all spins free.

I will spin the track and feels fine in mid to full throttle, but off idle, it feels boggy.

Thanks in advance.

Does it actually bog, or do you mean it just doesn't have the take off that you think it should? Have you been through the clutches to clean and inspect them? Worn rollers, worn buttons in the secondary, etc.

Does it actually bog, or do you mean it just doesn't have the take off that you think it should? Have you been through the clutches to clean and inspect them? Worn rollers, worn buttons in the secondary, etc.

Just doesn’t have the take off it should. Also I’ve never gone thru the clutches. I wouldn’t know where to start, also never had a problem on any of my other sled with more miles. Is that a common problem?

clean the primary clutch out and put a new spring in it. had a spring cause a bog before as it was weak.

Is your belt riding with the top cogs above or below the edge of the sheave and by how much...

Where is the belt riding in the secondary?

I looked at the belt and it was still good and holding together good. It was very wore tho and riding about an 1/8" low. It was hard to measure as the top edge was rolling up and not wearing off like the rest of the belt. But it was ridding significantly low. I had purchased a new belt last year for a spare, so I just switched the 2 late last night. The new belt look to be ridding much higher that the old belt. I don't have measurements and I know very low and much higher are all relative, but you can see a difference at where it is riding.

Thank you both for the help! I'll take Ol' Red for a spin this evening and let you know if it is better.

clean the primary clutch out and put a new spring in it. had a spring cause a bog before as it was weak.

This will be next on the list if my belt swap doesn't fix it! Thanks!

With it riding an 1/8th of an inch low in the secondary, you are ... in essence ... starting off in second gear. It should be level (if possible) with the edges of the secondary.
IMG_0889.JPG

Last edited:
With it riding an 1/8th of an inch low in the secondary, you are ... in essence ... starting off in second gear. It should be level (if possible) with the edges of the secondary.
View attachment 65635

Cool, Thanks! With out turning the track much to get the secondary back in "nuetral/resting" position, that is about where the new belt is. I'm hoping the new belt will make a difference. I'll save the old belt for now as a back up until I can get a new one.

A Couple of Bucks probably has your low end performance improved, an 1/8 low in the secondary is like taking off in 2nd gear like was mentioned.
With that being said, if you've never taken the clutches apart and cleaned them you are leaving quite a bit of performance on the table. The Tech pages will have some good tutorials/instructions. The primary requires a puller, but just blowing it out with air and using a green scotchbrite pad in circular motions on the sheave faces does a pretty good job. The secondary is best to pull clear apart. The hardest part for someone new is putting the secondary back together correctly, there are settings for each end of the spring that need to be put back where they were and you have to make sure it is "wound" correctly so that the helix ramps are sitting on the buttons. The buttons are a wear item and easily replaced, they just pull out and push the new ones in. Green scotch brite pad on the sheave faces of it too. Just warm soapy water is better than a parts cleaner or anything that will leave an oily residue on the sheaves. Many (while their wives are gone) throw the clutch(s) through the dishwasher.
A story to maybe help motivate you lol.
Years ago I bought a used '93 Exciter ll SX. Itching to ride it, I loaded it up and headed out a couple of days later without going through the carbs and clutches like I know I should. A good friend went along that had a stock Phazer except that he had put a 129" track on it and geared it down a bit. I was used to Phazers and found the Exciter to be kind of lackluster in comparison, I thought it would have quite a bit more pep. Towards the end of the day my friend wanted to drag race so we lined them up. He absolutely torched me, out of the hole about 2 lengths and then in mid range and on top he was steadily pulling away. We both knew that wasn't right. The next week I pulled the clutches. It was obvious that the original owner had never cleaned them. There was tons of belt dust in the secondary and the buttons were very worn down. I cleaned it and put new buttons in. The primary...wow. There were strands upon strands of belt threads and tons of dust. Removed all of it and cleaned it as well. The sled was also rich in the mid range and I lowered the needles one position.
The next weekend I went riding again with the same buddy. We lined the sleds up again and this time I just flat left him from the word go...3 different runs.

A Couple of Bucks probably has your low end performance improved, an 1/8 low in the secondary is like taking off in 2nd gear like was mentioned.
With that being said, if you've never taken the clutches apart and cleaned them you are leaving quite a bit of performance on the table. The Tech pages will have some good tutorials/instructions. The primary requires a puller, but just blowing it out with air and using a green scotchbrite pad in circular motions on the sheave faces does a pretty good job. The secondary is best to pull clear apart. The hardest part for someone new is putting the secondary back together correctly, there are settings for each end of the spring that need to be put back where they were and you have to make sure it is "wound" correctly so that the helix ramps are sitting on the buttons. The buttons are a wear item and easily replaced, they just pull out and push the new ones in. Green scotch brite pad on the sheave faces of it too. Just warm soapy water is better than a parts cleaner or anything that will leave an oily residue on the sheaves. Many (while their wives are gone) throw the clutch(s) through the dishwasher.
A story to maybe help motivate you lol.
Years ago I bought a used '93 Exciter ll SX. Itching to ride it, I loaded it up and headed out a couple of days later without going through the carbs and clutches like I know I should. A good friend went along that had a stock Phazer except that he had put a 129" track on it and geared it down a bit. I was used to Phazers and found the Exciter to be kind of lackluster in comparison, I thought it would have quite a bit more pep. Towards the end of the day my friend wanted to drag race so we lined them up. He absolutely torched me, out of the hole about 2 lengths and then in mid range and on top he was steadily pulling away. We both knew that wasn't right. The next week I pulled the clutches. It was obvious that the original owner had never cleaned them. There was tons of belt dust in the secondary and the buttons were very worn down. I cleaned it and put new buttons in. The primary...wow. There were strands upon strands of belt threads and tons of dust. Removed all of it and cleaned it as well. The sled was also rich in the mid range and I lowered the needles one position.
The next weekend I went riding again with the same buddy. We lined the sleds up again and this time I just flat left him from the word go...3 different runs.

I'll get them off and clean them the best I can without taking them apart. It does seam like there should be more guts to the sled. Thanks for the advice! And I liked you story. Good real life reason to clean the clutches! I wish I had some close to show me! Reading is not the same as showing someone!

Last edited:
You own that many sleds and have never cleaned and inspected any of their clutches?

Check out you tube.... I'm sure you'll find good videos on the subject

Last edited:
You own that many sleds and have never cleaned and inspected any of their clutches?

Check out you tube.... I'm sure you'll find good videos on the subject

LOL, Never really had problems. I've blown them out with compressed air, but that's it. I know, maybe this summer I'll learn how ;)

Back