2003 Mountain Max 144” track.

AttakMax

I have a 2003 Mountain Max. I’m looking for track options. I was going to install a 144” with 2” lug. However, I was going to use rail extensions from Hartman but he has closed shop. Could I use a larger rear idler setup? Would I use a 8” or a 9” wheel and will I have to use an offset axle? Another option would be to use a 3.0 pitch track and go either 141”or 146” track. The 3.0 pitch 7 tooth is only 0.125” larger in radius than the 8 tooth 2.52 pitch. I’m also wondering if a 2.25” lug track will clear with the 3.0 pitch driver. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Personally, I'd stick w/ a 2.52 8 tooth extro driver.
1. You'll be able to stick a two inch lug in there.
2. More options of tracks.
3. There are more lugs on a 2.52 to drive the track.

I want to use a 144” track and the 8 tooth 2.52 extrovert driver. I need the short rail extensions or use larger rear idler wheels. Has anyone used larger rear idler wheels? Wheel diameter? Offset axle?

Set it back then. You would only be moving it a 1.5" back in the tunnel but that would get him to 144" if he doesn't want to do that I think his tunnel extension is long enough to go 153" i'm pretty sure and be ok.

Last edited:
Ok I have to ask.
Why go from a 141 to a 144? Did the stock 141 get ruined and a smoking deal on a 144 was found?
I can't be for performance reasons?

Ok I have to ask.
Why go from a 141 to a 144? Did the stock 141 get ruined and a smoking deal on a 144 was found?
I can't be for performance reasons?

Apples to apples, Believe it or not, the 144 camo extreme that came on the 03 and up mtn vipers is simply a better hooking track than the crap yokohama 141's that came on the mtn maxes in all snow conditions. Now that is assuming he is ridding the yoko for a camoplast.

From experience, without a bit of tunnel extension, you will suck the snowflap if you dont address it. Mtn viper has a slightly longer tunnel ext. Relocating the skid back is the best way out if you cant find 144 viper rails

Thanks guys for all the info. I just want to replace the track and there’s nothing available in 141”. In the past, I just put a set of Hartman extensions in to go from 141” to 144” and that was it. Now, since he has closed his shop, there’s nothing out there to address this. That’s why I was wondering if larger wheels would address this. I’m also wondering if I can use a 141”
Power Claw. It requires a 3.0 pitch driver and it has a 2.25” lug height. The 3.0 7 tooth driver has a marginal larger diameter but I’m afraid that the little extra diameter and the extra 1/4 inch lug height might be too much to clear around the drivers.

Mite be worth trying the 2.25 powerclaw track with 3.0 pitch drivers. Worse case you just trim down the paddles a bit if you have any issues. Doesn't sound like you have anything to lose.

Back