Rpm issue

Sledhedsrx700

I have an 03 viper 700 im pretty sure im not supposed to b reading 8grand on my tach at a solid 55mph. Also seems that my tach drops to 0 every once amd a while while just idleimg on the side of the trail. Any info would b greatly appreciated.

The tach going out points to a wire harness rub through. Might not explain your tach reading high but could. Does it sound like it turning 8000 at 55? Should be easy to feel and hear. But start will going over entire wire harness. Very common problem. Tip is to tie string in end off harness at front of engine so it’s easy to pull back through.

Hmm, I could go several different ways...depends on a little more details.

If the tach and/or speedo are reading wonky, then start with superc1's suggestion and check out the wiring harness. Lots of info if you use search function to get you through it.

If it is truly needing to pull 8 grand to do 55, then I'd head for the clutches. (Not likely with the symptom of your tach dropping to zero on occasion)

If it idling really low and doesn't pick right up from an idle when hitting the throttle, without the choke on, then carbs...pilot circuits in particular. A really low idle will cause the tach to reset, like it does when you first start the sled.

Also check for a stator getting weak IF:
The gauge pod and tach reset when you change from low/high beam or when the brake lever is hit.

Last edited:

Back