Red Head 700 using too much oil

journeyman

A relative contacted me about his 1998 700 VMax XTC is suddenly using too much injector oil. He said about 1 qt in 25 miles. That seems awfully excessive.

I glanced at it quickly when at his place over Christmas and it does not have any messy oil in belly pan like a cracked hose....nothing, very clean sled. I checked to see if the oil pump cable was hanging up but did not notice anything.

Ideas??

look at the oil pump cable itself, right over the carbs where it splits and can be pulled apart. Make sure that it is tightly together, otherwise it will cause oil pump to over inject.

If an oil pimp fails mechanically it fails in "wide open". There is no way to test the pump. The only thing to do is check the cable adjustment. You can change the pump while the engine in in the chassis but it is a pain.

If an oil pimp fails mechanically it fails in "wide open". There is no way to test the pump. The only thing to do is check the cable adjustment. You can change the pump while the engine in in the chassis but it is a pain.

100% correct, they are designed to go wide open when they fail to prevent a burn down. If it suddenly started drinking oil I'd also assume the oil pump needs replaced. Do check that the cable isn't bound up and held open of course before tearing into replacing the pump. They are in a horrible spot and not fun at all. I'd pluck the motor honestly, but then you need to be able to realign the clutches when you put it back in.

Back