Coil interchangeability...

MURDER YAMAHA

VIP Life Member
I would like to use coils from a 1997-98 700 redhead on my 2002 redhead motor.
i want to mount them on the air box, as I am running a boost bottle, and the factory ones that mount behind the carbs won’t work, not enough room.
wondering if anyone has a good reason why this may or may not work?

yep, I noticed that, but, I know they can both fire a BR9ES.
Just wondering if there is a spec sheet somewhere to see if they put out the same charge or not, or, even if it would matter much ?

They probably have a different company making them now, I’m sure at a dealer they’d have the part number lead to a new part number. I just replaced one of mine with an aftermarket coil and it’s for 97-03 Red heads. Also, I mounted my coils on the front of the head using two of the head studs. I used the original coil bracket, just drilled two of the mounting holes larger to fit over the head studs.

Well, i’m thinking it will work, just wondering if I will lose performance, because of a weaker spark.
I guess if someone tells me what to set my multimeter to, I could test spark on the newer coil pack as compared to my 1997 SX.

Yes, i can’t mount the 2002 coil pack on the air box, won’t reach.
That’s why I want to use the 1997 coils that mount on the air box.
Just concerned that they put out less juice than the 2002 coils.
The 2002 coils run off the 300 watt charging system, where as the 1997 coils are designed with the 75 watt.
Not sure that matters.

Well, this is what I did...
Took the stock bracket, cut it up, bent it, flipped the coils around, and painted it.
Turned out well I think.

Attachments

• Resized_20200125_203802.jpg
    Resized_20200125_203802.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 11

Back