Belts?

700sxvermonter

What's the best belt for my sx viper? Yamaha? Dayco? Gates? I'm going to by a new one and would like to hear peoples thoughts.. Thanks in advance

Best belt you can buy is a Yamaha 8DN-17641-01 belt. I run hard and I get 4000+ kms out of them. There affordable and tough as hell. No point in buying anything else.

Last edited:
Best belt you can buy is a Yamaha 8DN-17641-01 belt. I run hard and I get 4000+ kms out of them. There affordable and tough as hell. No point in buying anything else.

Is this the belt Hartman said is too hard? He suggested the Carlise xs-805 as it was softer and slightly longer to better reach the top of the sheeve and provide less slip due to it being a softer belt. Correct me if I am wrong.

No clue. Never used them... I'm sure it's an excellent belt has well

I run my sled hard, and my sheaves never get hot, witch means efficiency is high and slip is minimal.... So I stick with what I now...

To each their own...

Last edited:
Is this the belt Hartman said is too hard? He suggested the Carlise xs-805 as it was softer and slightly longer to better reach the top of the sheeve and provide less slip due to it being a softer belt. Correct me if I am wrong.

I tried an ulitmax once and it exploded, I have had great success with the 8dn. If you try this belt report back, as I am curios on a stickier compound. 8dn are very hard and last forever.

Like everyone else had said, the Yamaha 8DN is all I've used. I my group we all have Apex's, they run that belt too and 700 triples. We had to get some non-8DN belts because a buddy was running 7-10 year old belts and blew 4 old belts in 2 miles, so we were all out of spares. The non-Yamaha don't hold up as well and he said he noticed a difference when running Yamaha vs non-Yamaha. Can't recall what he said, because that was 4ish years ago, but defiantly we all run Yamaha 8DN. They last the longest!

Yes, the factory 8dn belt is the one Hartman says is too hard. He isn't wrong about them being a hard belt, but I think it is best to stay with an 8dn due to the "floating" secondary. The softer belts don't seem to hold up well. There is an aftermarket part that will lock the secondary in one place so the side to side movement is gone. I've never tried it but if the clutches were aligned and the secondary locked in perfect alignment, then I bet a softer belt would hold up pretty good. You'd be amazed how little it takes to wear the heck out of a belt if the clutches aren't aligned if the belt is a pretty soft compound.
I personally love the life I get out of the 8dn belts and don't find my clutches really getting all that hot from slipping, nor do I see an excessive amount of belt dust being generated. Keeping the sheaves clean by scrubbing them with a green scotchbrite pad in circular motions keeps them gripping the belt pretty good.
The "floating" secondary is in theory supposedly so the secondary can align itself with the primary if they aren't set up quiteperfect, but I've read that it doesn't necessarily always align when a lot of throttle is applied and the sheaves clamp down hard on the belt...it can be out of alignment slightly from time to time. Due to the side to side float of the secondary, even if the clutches are perfectly aligned it can "lock" into place from time to time out of perfect alignment. This is my theory why the softer belts don't hold up well for so many that have tried one.

Back