2003 vmax600 tripple 9000rpm?

Cdslant

Hello I'm new to this amazing machine, I took her out for a drive and a WOT she revs at like 9100+.

I heard i might need to change my secondary spring setting. Can anyone tell me how to do that or at least point me in a good direction...

Do i have to take the secondary cover bolts off ect?...

Yes you need to remove both clutches and take off all 6 primary 10 mm bolts off and the secondary 3 x12mm nuts off. Just be caution as these are spring loaded. Though nothing that a prepared set of hands can't handle. Clean and inspect both in detail. Post pictures so we can help you better

Last edited:
Ok I'm gonna tackle it hopefully tomorrow, can I just leave the secondary on the sled or do u recommend removing.

Remove it. It's only a 14mm aluminum bolt that secures it.

Btw you need a puller to remove your primary off the crankshaft's taper

Last edited:
I do not have a puller and am going on a trip wed night so this sleds gotta be back together and working for the trip.ugh I also have to put the rear skid back in.

Clean and make sure everything is free and not binding. If that doesn’t work,You will need to add heavier rivets to primary weights, at the tips.

Last edited:
I didn't think they made a vmax in 2003? Doesn't sound right. I do not see a vmax listed in the tech pages for 2003. Is it an SXR?
It is much less efficient to try to impact rpm with the secondary, you always want to adjust peak rpm by adding or removing weights from the tip of the primary arms.
Need to figure out exactly what year and sled you have so peak rpm can be looked up. Get a puller for the primary. Clean both clutches (lots of info on this site on how to do it). If a lot of miles I would consider a new primary spring, a sacked spring will cause issues.
After cleaning and a new primary spring, if it is still over revving, then I'd add weight to the tips to reel it in to the desired peak rpm. It normally takes a couple times getting into it to get it dialed perfectly unless it was pretty close to start with.
I wouldn't just throw a new secondary spring at it without at least pulling both clutches and cleaning/inspecting them for worn parts. Simply throwing a new secondary spring in isn't going to drop your peak rpm by the 500 or so rpm's I'm guessing you need to be at (Without knowing for sure what sled you have, I'd still guess you want peak somewhere around 8500 rpm).

600 triples can get away with a bit more rpms. Probably 8700-8800. Heck my 700 pulls hard at 8600

You can always use a weaker primary spring as it will simulate heavier weights thus loading the engine more

Last edited:
I ended up adding two 4.5 rivits to each weight to the wifes 02 600 to get the rpms where they needed to be. 8dg's are your stock weights make sure thats what you have in the primary with a yellow/green/yellow primary spring. Im with murder yamaha add weight to primary.

Back at it this season got a puller coming next week.
The secondary is set at 80
I will clean the primary and inspect
I will do whatever is easier
Primary spring or weights

Check the gearing too, could be too low or the primary spring is too stiff. One easy way to patch over that is to get a 51/43 helix and install that, that should get the initial rpms down. Had to use a multiangle helix on my 99 venture 600 european edition, it has crazy low gearing.

First, get the heaviest rivets you can find. Then, you could also try a softer spring, a white-green-white has 9 kg less total end force and the same pre-load. If it still overrevs, try my favourite for a 600 yamaha single; blue white blue with 111 kg total end force.

Last edited:
Good, I see from the stock specs that they kind of tried to "patch up" the low gearing and stiff spring in the primary with a red spring in the secondary.

Ok i just cleaned it and set secondary to 80 and added a washer to get belt sitting a little hight in secondary

Back