Stock Exhaust??

SXViperNate

VIP Member
My stock exhaust on my '98 700 triple is rusting out. I'd like to just get a MBRP, but there is a really clean stock exhaust real close to me from a '01 SXR 700 triple for $75. This will save me $200ish if it works. Does anyone know if it will? The part numbers are a little different. Also is that a good price?

How rusty is your exhaust? Both me and my brother had very rusty exhaust, sanding and painting restored them to there originalish beauty...

That said,

I believe that exhaust will work. Do you have any pictures? Yes 75$ is a good price.

Last edited:
Looks like the correct exhaust.

How rusty is your exhaust? Both me and my brother had very rusty exhaust, sanding and painting restored them to there originalish beauty...

Thanks, mine has a hole from rusting. Still on the fence tho about a MBRP, or getting this one and drilling it out? What can you say about your drilled can?

Perfect! I'm off the fence and onto the drilled stock exhaust! I might run home and grab mine before I go look at the one on the market place. Just to be sure! ;)

Picked it up for $60. Now all I have to do is drill it out. I think that the only difference between mine and this one is there is a heat shield on this one. So I can confirm that even thou there is a part number difference and it says you can't order a stock 98 XTC exhaust, this one from a 2001 SXR does work.

While where on the subject, has anyone had any luck on wrapping the pipe?
Here are what I know about this, only from reading. Wrapping the pipe helps keep the heat in the pipe and gets it away and out of the motor. This in turn may give you a HP or 3. I haven't saw any hard evidence to state the HP gains. Does anyone have any dyno sheets? So, Keeping under the hood possibly cooler is better in my book. Now the wrap and its effectiveness is all dependent on how well you wrap it and make sure it is done correctly. Also from what I read and somewhat learned from a different 2-stoke is making sure you have no exhaust leaks, so the wrap could potentially give you back the HP you lost with exhaust leaks. Another negative is that the wrap holds moisture, so rusting of the pipe could happen quicker. But I've read that most people forget the high temp silicone spray that is applied after you get the wrap on.

So, my main pros are:
Potential HP gains
Keeps heat in the pipe
Easy, but tricky to install correctly
Looks Cool

My cons:
Can rust pipe out
tricky to install properly
May not do anything but look cool, so why spend the money?
Would you need to change the
Let's here what you all have to stay! Am I miss led at something? Do you have something to add? Would you need to change the jets?

Last edited:
I am unaware of a redhead 700 that has a heat shield on the factory muffler.
Viper and SRX do, Viper has one inlet, SRX has 3.

Same muffler can. Earlier sx sleds didn’t have it, later had heat shield on belly pan side

Love it! Sounds bad A$$! And it's not excessively loud or agnoctious

LOL. I just drilled mine out yesterday! If you can get it to Idle real low, it sounds awesome with the low tones. I really like it. My fiance was works 3rd shift and she was just getting it out when I was testing the TORS i cleaned and the drilled can! I may have been a little braap happy! LOL I'm glad I went the drilled route!

Anyone have a good or bad experience with exhaust wrap?

LOL. I just drilled mine out yesterday! If you can get it to Idle real low, it sounds awesome with the low tones. I really like it. My fiance was works 3rd shift and she was just getting it out when I was testing the TORS i cleaned and the drilled can! I may have been a little braap happy! LOL I'm glad I went the drilled route!

Anyone have a good or bad experience with exhaust wrap?

I'm happy your enjoying the new sound!!!! And it was cheap!! I personally wouldn't wrap because of known rusting issues with wraps.

My Venom has a heat shield on it like the Viper, (main pipe section, and side of can) which has insulation material between it and the pipe. Both the pipe and exhaust can were pretty rusty underneath. I can't say if it helps performance or not, I suppose the shields aren't as effective as a full pipe wrap though.

Just so you know, if you wrap the pipes it WILL lean out your jetting. Unless you are jetted rich and have some room, you will need to richen it up a bit. I have no idea how much, but would definitely do several plug checks at 0-1/4 throttle, 1/4 - 3/4 throttle, and wide open.
After market cans were known to actually lose HP. No idea if drilling them out does or not.

Just so you know, if you wrap the pipes it WILL lean out your jetting. Unless you are jetted rich and have some room, you will need to richen it up a bit. I have no idea how much, but would definitely do several plug checks at 0-1/4 throttle, 1/4 - 3/4 throttle, and wide open.
After market cans were known to actually lose HP. No idea if drilling them out does or not.

Thanks! I'll make sure to keep an eye on them.

Last edited:

Back