No smoke...

MURDER YAMAHA

VIP Life Member
Rebuilt the motor for my brother in law in his 2002 Viper.
Noticed when I put it back together and started it, there was no smoke.
Did some checking, and noticed he had the oil line with the check valve on backwards, so it wouldn't allow
oil into the fuel pump (hence the need for a rebuild).

Now, I start the motor and have verified that I do have oil flowing all the way up to the fuel pump.
But, does not seem to be mixing with fuel inside the fuel pump, as I have zero smoke, even when holding
oil pump wide open.

Thoughts ?

Ok. I remember in 02 there were a few pumps that the brass fitting Going into the pump weren’t drilled thru. I guess if you have oil coming out the line before the pump then there must be a plugged pump? Do you have another one to swap out and try?

I’m sure I do somewhere, just don’t understand why it would just quit working, unless having the check valve backwards created a problem..

I have rebuilt several of these motors, and never had this problem before.
Usually see smoke in less than a minute.
Gonna try a different fuel pump I guess.

Rebuilt the motor for my brother in law in his 2002 Viper.
Noticed when I put it back together and started it, there was no smoke.
Did some checking, and noticed he had the oil line with the check valve on backwards, so it wouldn't allow
oil into the fuel pump (hence the need for a rebuild).

Now, I start the motor and have verified that I do have oil flowing all the way up to the fuel pump.
But, does not seem to be mixing with fuel inside the fuel pump, as I have zero smoke, even when holding
oil pump wide open.

Thoughts ?

look at original post

WOW, this is a good one! My only thought would be something inside the pump is pooched (debris restricting oil flow / mixing in the pump?) ? If you can thief a pump off one of your own sleds and swap to see the result? Keep us posted!

I’d guess something plugged up the pump? No check valve particles got pushed into it? Unlikely tho. I’d swap no sense in risking a fresh motor.

Premix the fuel in the tank, mark the oil tank and take it for a short easy ride. Also when I put a check valve backwards it kept blowing the line off due to pressure, was the line attached still?

No, this was the same way. Blew one of the lines off the pump. But, they are back on once i turned the check valve.

Premix the fuel in the tank, mark the oil tank and take it for a short easy ride. Also when I put a check valve backwards it kept blowing the line off due to pressure, was the line attached still?

I agree. "No smoke" is kind of subjective and adding some oil to the fuel tank should:
A. produce some smoke
B. protect in the event, as you suspect, the oil pump isn't working.

I would have expected smoke when you first lit it up just from the assembly lube.

Oil pump is working properly, as stated in original post.

I found another Viper/SRX fuel pump, so will try that I guess.

Think I found the problem.
This crossover hose is cut.
Put a different fuel pump in, and now is starting to smoke.

Attachments

• 20200130_180041.jpg
    20200130_180041.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Resized_20200130_182516.jpg
    Resized_20200130_182516.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Back