'88 phazer, do I need new top end gaskets? also some piston wear

destey

Just rebuilt a couple years ago wiith new pistons, bottom end seals etc then this season I find out the carb I installed off ebay had sand blasting media in it and sucked some into the motor. So I've got the motor half apart right now trying to determine the extent of the damage. Do I need new gaskets? I'm unsure of the cylinder head gaskets and the cylinder base gaskets. The head gaskets look ok, the base looks like its half soaked in 2 stroke oil. Almost wondering if there's a bad seal at the bottom that I should look into. The pistons also have some wear that doesn't look like sandblast media, almost like it lacked oil which I remember one time during break in the oil pump wasn't set right and I drove it for about 10 minutes with the oil pump adjustment somewhat less than it should be. No idea if that's where the wear is from. Or maybe I need to smooth the port edges a little? I'll post up some pictures of the cylinder and pistons later today so you guys can help me figure out where the wear is coming from and if I need new pistons/overbore. I'm really careful to let the machine warm up plenty before I ride it, so I don't think its wear from running too hard before its warmed. Thanks in advance! edit the reason I thought it sucked sand blast media into the motor was I took the carbs off and found sand blast media at the bottom of the float bowl. Then I took the reeds off and ran a borescope into the motor and the cylinder walls looked scratched so I decided to take the motor apart. So far I have the cylinders off and I dont see any traces of sand blast media but that wear concerns me. doesn't look like dirt wear, ie deep scratches, it looks like some other type of wear. any ideas?

Last edited:

Back