Broken Left Skid Rail 1998 Venture 700 Triple 2up

Johnny20

Put the sled in reverse today and heard a crack and the sled stopped. Got off and looked and the front part of the skid rail or slide rail was laying in the snow. It completely broke off in front of the front most wheel on the left side of the sled. Is it worth the bother to try and have it welded or should I just have it replaced? I saw some on eBay or should I put new on and I’m assuming the right side should be inspected to. I don’t think it something I can do myself so it’s probably going to the Yamaha shop. Just looking for sources for the part or advice. Thanks in advance appreciate your time

Last edited:

Those rails are heat treated. Yes you can tig them and they will look perfectly fine. However .... the temper of that factory heat treat will be gone. So I would not weld.
Post an add in the wanted section.

We (3) friends bought three basically the same ventures, one 700 and the other two were 500’s.

I can’t believe Yamaha doesn’t/didn’t know of an issue with the suspension rails cracking by the front wheel bolt. I asked customer service if it was common and they said they were not aware of an issue/problem. We have three ventures and 5 of the 6 rails are cracked or broken in almost the exact spot! I was talking to one of the other guys and he said he heard that adding another set of wheels in front of the front bogey would add more support to prevent the problem, thoughts?

We (3) friends bought three basically the same ventures, one 700 and the other two were 500’s.

I can’t believe Yamaha doesn’t/didn’t know of an issue with the suspension rails cracking by the front wheel bolt. I asked customer service if it was common and they said they were not aware of an issue/problem. We have three ventures and 5 of the 6 rails are cracked or broken in almost the exact spot! I was talking to one of the other guys and he said he heard that adding another set of wheels in front of the front bogey would add more support to prevent the problem, thoughts?

https://totallyamaha.net/showthread.php/105868-Home-made-rail-extensions

Just mount the steel plates on the inside of the rails so as to not screw up the transfer rod mountings.

Don't know if you got this but I answered your question on the other thread

Back