98 save 700 clutch hermaphrodite?

Lowlife

98 700 triple redhead. Stock except reed notch revs to 9000 the whole time from accel to top end. Engages at 4k. Runs out great just trying to fix 9k issue. I have no baseline on parts. I'm guessing it's someone else's clutch kit. 8dn? new belt, bought 2 so don't care to buy an Ultima if possible

How much slop is in the movable sheave bushing with the spring out. Hard to measure but I would say maybe .025 movement measured from the outside sheave

Spring colors primary black. white mark on 2 coils. black
Secondary black with a lone blue mark on one coil
Weights seem to be in an alien tongue if I had to guess it would be
0 Pac man
H

Ill try to get pics posted but its not my strong point I need to get them from my phone to my tablet to here.

Last edited:

No literally they say and look like this in 3 lines. There is nothing else on the weight. All the weight is on the heel. I can find an emoji for Pac man.

0 Pac man symbol
H

Seriously. I tried a pic but I have and will always suck at this.

Now I feel like a computer badass. I'm gonna post irrelevant pictures just to show off

Attachments

• Resizer_15806124008341.jpg
    Resizer_15806124008341.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Resizer_15806124008342.jpg
    Resizer_15806124008342.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 7
Nice learned something new. Seems obvious now. So do you think adding more rivet weight will help or just go with a different spring since we don't know the specs of this one. Thx for the help.

I would throw a stock one it, and your gonna have to put a 4.5 gram rivet in the tip, these redheads over rev outta the box.

Gracias gentlemen, I will order a primary and secondary stock spring with 4.5 rivets. Wsw and grn I believe. May as well since I'm in there give everything a good cleaning. Addtl research indicates play in the sheave is reasonable.

Norwegian, it's actually a blue dot just doesn't show up well on the picture

Last edited:
Gracias gentlemen, I will order a primary and secondary stock spring with 4.5 rivets. Wsw and grn I believe. May as well since I'm in there give everything a good cleaning. Addtl research indicates play in the sheave is reasonable.

Norwegian, it's actually a blue dot just doesn't show up well on the picture

Yep, You’ll be in better shape with the stock setup.
Does it have the stock helix?

Yep to the helix, she's mostly stock except the suspension and skis. I'm planning on keeping her for a while so today I machined up a 2.5 inch handlebar riser and machined a tight fitting bar to drop down the steering stem.
Go KC!

Put all the parts in, pulls harder but still over revs to 8800. I'm going to check the tach to make sure it's accurate. If it is I'm not sure putting the heaviest rivet in the middle hole as well will lower the rpm enough. Different primary spring? Different weights?
Is it ok to make my own rivets so to speak, or would that be a no no. I might be able to make some a gram or so heavier. Would need to experiment with materials. Just thinking out loud. Thanks again for assistance

We added a washer, along with a 4.5 gram to the outer rivet on my old 700sx, think went to 14.5 rollers as well, but wouldn’t do that again, better off going to a softer primary spring.

So looks like 8cr 8ek or 8dn as far as weights. I need to weight mine first though and go roughly 3 grams heavier?
As far as softer springs it looks to be a serious balancing act. BPB? I assume that the most important would be the spring rate and then all else falls behind?

Put all the parts in, pulls harder but still over revs to 8800. I'm going to check the tach to make sure it's accurate. If it is I'm not sure putting the heaviest rivet in the middle hole as well will lower the rpm enough. Different primary spring? Different weights?
Is it ok to make my own rivets so to speak, or would that be a no no. I might be able to make some a gram or so heavier. Would need to experiment with materials. Just thinking out loud. Thanks again for assistance

Yes .... 3 gram added will bring the Rs down to correct RPMs. Yes it is ok to make your own rivets. Think about some brass rivets/washers. I have used a brass rod and washers. Buck them accordingly. Initially make your rods & washers heavier than needed. After everything is bucked, file brass off to achieve 3 equal weighted cams.
Scale??
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TUFF-WEIGH...385592&hash=item3fdb708482:g:-c8AAOSwtjBeRIEx

Back