Maintenance in the Fall or Spring?

SXViperNate

VIP Member
So, I just had a major snowmobile problem and was wondering when you guys do you maintenance? I usually do mine in the fall. Example - power valves and carbs cleaning, track and carbide inspection, suspension greasing, and fresh gas and a general inspection of the sled. I like the fall so I know the sled is good to go for the upcoming season.

If I need do big project, like a track, studs or bushings or bearings, that is done in the spring, if it can wait.

Also, how often do you clean the power valves?

I always do that kind of maintenance in the fall too.
I clean my power valves around 1000 miles. With our style of mountain riding I'm lucky to put 400 miles on in a season, so every couple of years. Most rides we average between 40-50 miles. I've never found my power valves to be stuck and they are never out of adjustment more than a micro amount when I check them.
In the spring I just make sure to "summer-ize" it...clean it well, wax, pull belt off secondary, seafoam in the tank and run it with the oiler pulled wide open until it's smoking good, WD40 my painted pipes, 2x4 under the track, cover her up.

well i start my maintenece in the spring and usually get finished in the late fall. i do 8 sleds though and always start with the ones that got the most milage put onto them during the season. finish off with the putters/project sleds.

that does not count the other sleds i pre/post season inspect either.

Do you ever notice water coming out when you grease? That water sat in there all summer.

Do you ever notice water coming out when you grease? That water sat in there all summer.

I usually don't see water, maybe it dried up by the time i get to it? But that is a maybe something I'll do in the spring is just grease they.

Looks like I may have to start my stuff earlier as well to this year. Clutches have to get cleaned! I have 4 sleds, so I think I have the hang of it by the last one. Does anyone have a good way they clean theirs?

Also, keep the spring or fall coming! I want to hear more!! I don't thing we'll have a definitive answer, but it's fun to see what other do. I learned 2 thing already! Maybe you'll get reminded of something you've been forgetting?

Last edited:
I've heard a dishwasher works pretty good on them but never tried it myself. I just use warm soapy water, a green scotchbrite pad for the sheave faces and a small nylon toothbrush style brush for the nooks and crannies.
Make sure you note what holes the spring ends were in on the secondary. A second person can really help putting the secondary back together, one person holding the clutch down against the spring tension while the other threads the nuts on. Tighten them evenly once they're started so you don't bind it.

Fall, usually because I'm too excited about dirt bikes in the Spring! Plus fall lets you find any un-wanted surprises (critters...) that you'd still have to deal with if looked over in Spring. Besides gas treatment and putting up on stands they stay in the trailer after last ride. This year will be different since I'm rebuilding my skid, will start that after season is over.

Spring for me . Dont' want water in the idlers and shafts... Also give me all the necessary time to do a proper cleaning, polishing and refresh on all components

Back