Viper ER Clutch Kit Success! But 8000 RPM’s WOT?

Maim, I honestly don’t doubt that it is the can. It just sounds so nice that I’m having a hard time taking it off! But I will to verify the issue. Let’s say that it is the problem, if I leave it on, will it harm anything? If I can’t do 100mph, it’s not the end of the world.

It won't harm anything, but not being at your peak HP rpm is leaving quite a bit of performance on the table. If you think it's pulling good now, get those peak rpm's dialed in.
I like the sound of a good aftermarket exhaust on most everything, but I'd much rather have performance over sound. There's also something to be said for a "sleeper" set up. (Something that sounds stock...but isn't and takes people by surprise).

I’ve read that you can drill a hole through the baffle of a stock can for a throaty sound, but mine doesn’t have that. I already attempted it and when I ran the hole saw up there, there was no baffle that I could reach with an extension. Looking in there with a flash light there’s a slow curve to the exit port and I can’t see anything to drill. What gives?

what part number weight kit is it ? what brand helix is it? your 600rpm off of peak so its off a lot. You either have the wrong weights like dragon flys or its a coded helix and not the real angles you think. The stock red dot spring will be faster topend mph then the green will, youll want to order a new one and put it back in, the green dot will work for now to ride and wont change the set up much youd need a little less twist with green likely 60-70.

MrViper700, I got the 40-10's from the link below and the new kit comes with two red springs since that's the way Super Torquer sells them now (on the website it shows the gray one included, but that is old stock photo). The helix is inscribed 46-36 where the bushing is currently installed or I would attach a picture of it. I installed the green at 80 degrees, so I will back that off to 70. I also put the stock can back on and will be testing it later this evening.

https://www.richmotorsports.com/store/heel-clicker-yamaha.html

so, it was a coded helix then, bender or a maxx performance unit. More then likely it is not a 46/36 but much more on the finish angle. I always tell people about the cake recipe, I gave you the ingrediants for the cake but if you leave out 1 of the eggs because you only had 1 on hand, you most likely wont have a cake when you open the oven.

I have used the viper h/c set up for years, installed dozens of those set ups myself in customers sleds. More times then I could count when a guy has rpm problems there is a mismatch of parts or a mechanical problem with sled. I tell people to use a Dalton helix, because I know what the result is. You can take 3 different helixs all marked the same angle and they will all yield different rpms because they are not all 3 machined the same. The radius in which the ramp angle is cut changes the shift and the rpm of the shift.

I would suggest you try a different helix and see what happens, sounds like everything else is correct. You can double chack my idea its the helix by installing your stock 47 degree, youl see the topend rom to be low just like you have now. The green dot spring wont ruin the rpm if set at 60-70 twist, it just wont yield the best top mph. Youll find the best topend mph with the stock red dot at 80-90, even slightly faster at 70 but usually wont hang onto the belt unless your riding all hardpack snow.

MrViper700,

Unfortunately I’m always trying to get a deal and this is one of those cases of “that should work for what I’m doing and it’s only $40”. However, I’m still very impressed with the outcome of the clutch kit and how much I’ve gained from it. I’d like to note that I’m not placing blame on you for the current situation, I just couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t reaching the recommended RPM’s. Your guidelines were the only reason I got this far. For that, I thank you! Between now and next season I intend on extending the tunnel and rails. While I’m at it the motor is going to get new pistons and rings (it has 8k miles). Thanks again!!

I can’t imagine you gained anything if your 600 rpm short.
That’s a lot. I would try to get your hands on the suggested helix for sure.

22/38 is stock gearing for an 04 Viper ER. Do you have anything larger than a 38(1st option)? Or a 21 IPO that 22(2nd option).
Seeing if we can unload it a bit w/ anything laying around the garage. Just thinking outside the box.

MrViper700,

Unfortunately I’m always trying to get a deal and this is one of those cases of “that should work for what I’m doing and it’s only $40”. However, I’m still very impressed with the outcome of the clutch kit and how much I’ve gained from it. I’d like to note that I’m not placing blame on you for the current situation, I just couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t reaching the recommended RPM’s. Your guidelines were the only reason I got this far. For that, I thank you! Between now and next season I intend on extending the tunnel and rails. While I’m at it the motor is going to get new pistons and rings (it has 8k miles). Thanks again!!

no offense taken, and hopefully you didn't take any either... just explaining "why" you didn't come up with a cake when you opened the oven is all. Your certainly not the first guy who figured it would be "close enough". It happens all the time not only in clutching but of tuning of engines after they get work done. Its about helping you to get to the desired result, sometimes it takes a couple trys to get all the correct items. It will run even better at 8600rpm with the right helix. Hunt/buy a Dalton helix, I use those almost exclusive as they seem to be the most consistant.

That is why I asked you in another thread who manufactured the helix. That 36 finish is probably not 36. It's more than likely 38. That would answer why your peak Rs are low.
Can you post a picture of that helix? I'd like a shallower finish so we don't have to remove any weight at the clutch weight tips.
https://totallyamaha.net/showthread.php/61494-List-of-aftermarket-helix-angles
And if it's an Advant-Edge , add 4 degrees to both the start & finish angles. That's how much they're off compared to a good known standard helix.
So that supposed 36 finish would be at the very least .... a 40. Or more.

Last edited:
we did my dads with the stock helix from a 2005 rx war as it measured really close to the advantage one my brother was using on his 02 viper. once we got the hp robbing track off of it, it tacked exactly the same as the viper did. dads sled is a 05 sx venture that has the viper motor.

we did my dads with the stock helix from a 2005 rx war as it measured really close to the advantage one my brother was using on his 02 viper.
From what I gather, it's not that they are really off. Apparently it is the way they are cut(??) that makes them act differently. If that makes any sense.
It looks like Allens stock of them is dwindling.

Last edited:
I am happy to report that the MBRP race can was solely the problem!! I put the stock suitcase can back on and took it for a long rip down the lake and it is smokin’ fast! Reaches 8600 RPM’s at WOT and backshift is perfect!! Thanks everyone for your input and assistance with my build. I couldn’t have done it without you guys! I wish I could buy everyone a beer! ����

A special thanks to MrViper700 for the extensive testing, the trial and error working out the kinks, only to share his successes with others! Awesome! Thanks a bunch!

Ps. I’ll be doing a track extension, tunnel extension and engine rebuild this summer! So this isn’t the last you’ll hear from me! All the sudden everyone’s going to have vision problems when they see me asking questions on the forum!

well I have never had one of those mbrp cans, but to lose 600 rpm with it, means it definitely LOSES power, wow.... that's a lot. hard to out engineer Yamaha on their exhaust systems!

well I have never had one of those mbrp cans, but to lose 600 rpm with it, means it definitely LOSES power, wow.... that's a lot. hard to out engineer Yamaha on their exhaust systems!

we went through this back in 04 on my brothers 02 viper. it was driving him and turk crazy until turk told him to put the stock can on.

Back