Gyt pipes

Forget about those pipes. The stock exhaust was very good on the 97-99 twins. Install the .6 head gasket and larger rear heat exchanger as the performance of those things suffers if they get heat soaked. Leave the mains stock and run 91-93 premium.
If you really wanted to add some power the best bang for the buck would be some trail porting by an experienced porter.

Forget about those pipes. The stock exhaust was very good on the 97-99 twins. Install the .6 head gasket and larger rear heat exchanger as the performance of those things suffers if they get heat soaked. Leave the mains stock and run 91-93 premium.
If you really wanted to add some power the best bang for the buck would be some trail porting by an experienced porter.

I’ll take Pipes any day over the stock exhaust, stock HP is around 98. Twins can make 115.
Here are the dynos for Aaen pipes(lower hp) and PSI pipes.
http://www.m-performance.com/Grafik/Dynobilder/yamaha/sx 600 pipes/Image1.jpg

Last edited:
I can see from this that those pipes spin above the rpms when bad harmonics come into play, I think it was from 8200 or 8250.

Agreed, the headgasket and rear heat exchanger helped alot. Along with some clutching, the only issue is traction.

I didn't notice any vibrations on my 95 600, and If I remember right I turned it 8600 or a tad more. It did have a different engine than the 97+ though. Maybe they had some different harmonics in those engines. I know I ran it that way for at least 4 seasons. Had to sell in 2001 because of an injury. Still having problems with the torn hamstring but I can sit on a bike or sled again now. I did look for the spec sheets I had from Reichard for that sled but can't find anything. Probably gave all that stuff to the guy that bought my sled. He came from N W Wisconsin to central Illinois to get that sled. I couldn't believe it, I asked him why, he said condition is everything. I'm still attracted to the old 95 Black 600 Vmaxs.

Charlie, you won't feel harmonics.
These engines are hard on clutch parts. This is basically the same bottom end that started life in the 87 exciter which rev'd 7200, then 7600 in the SX exciter, then almost 8000 in the 97 models.
I do still like the engine however, I have a 98 model that I plan to build up and Iantomassi Track and Trail has the cylinders to trail port(if they ever get them done).

I would agree on [hard on clutch parts] I had a bunch of extra parts when I sold the sled. I gave them to my cousin a couple years ago. I never thought anything about harmonics causing that though. Didn't have the info pipeline back then that we do now. I never had any porting done on my 600 engine other than just clean them up a tad, but they were pretty clean to begin with. I had my 540 cylinders ported by Riechard in about 85 but to be honest I didn't see a whole lot of gain. That engine was hard on clutch parts too but it ran a 102C.

I was told by Justin Fuller that in 97 and up 600 twins, the removed the heavier flywheel weight that the earlier ones had.
Also know a guy that used some sort of fluid dampner on his 93 exciter, because harmonics would let him run at a consistent rpm.
Dont know the whole story behind that though.

I would agree on [hard on clutch parts] I had a bunch of extra parts when I sold the sled. I gave them to my cousin a couple years ago. I never thought anything about harmonics causing that though. Didn't have the info pipeline back then that we do now. I never had any porting done on my 600 engine other than just clean them up a tad, but they were pretty clean to begin with. I had my 540 cylinders ported by Riechard in about 85 but to be honest I didn't see a whole lot of gain. That engine was hard on clutch parts too but it ran a 102C.

The 600 triple is a super reliable long-life engine with good throttle response and broad power. However, power isn't huge.
The 600 twin is none of those things, but it did dominate 600 stock grass drags for quite a few years, and it will perform very well with a few tricks in the right hands.

The 600 triple is a super reliable long-life engine with good throttle response and broad power. However, power isn't huge.
The 600 twin is none of those things, but it did dominate 600 stock grass drags for quite a few years, and it will perform very well with a few tricks in the right hands.

I have a 2002 600er right now and though haven't ridden it much, my 600 twin was a MUCH stronger machine. While I have only ridden this 600 triple a bit when I bought it, I can tell it's not near as strong as my old 600 twin. Heck this SXR 700 might not even be as strong, sure don't feel like it. That's OK though I'm an OLD man now, and have trouble holding on to them now.

You will have to do the headgasket mod, reedspacers, jet down a bit and get the clutching dialed in, then the 600 triple wakes to life. When it's really cold, my stock 1999 venture is a blast to ride. I think the low end of the triple is actually stronger than on the twin.

Back