Gyt pipes

Vmax xtc 1997

Hi,

Does anyone know if this is indeed a GYT pipe? I purchased it for 100$. It was supposedly on a vmax 600 1995.

Can it be placed on a vmax 600 1997?If so, some jetting required?

I did a search in the treads but dont find for 1997... Any assistance would be truly appreciated!!!!

GYT PIPE 2.jpg

Did many searches tonight and coming to the conclusion that I purchased that for nothing.....?

Seem to be only for 96 and before... am I wrong?

Yes, please do, I would be VERY VERY interested in seeing if they can be made to fit as well !

Dan, are these the (come on like a freight train)pipes you use to speak of ?
I didnt think the center dump pipes made much power ?

Dan, are these the (come on like a freight train)pipes you use to speak of ?
I didnt think the center dump pipes made much power ?
Yes those are the ones. They are hydro-formed and have "pleats" in them from the process. All from these years have the collector at the ends of the stingers.
They are a 17ish hp gain even over the GYT single.
Invest in a Velcro snowsuit. As in .... Hoe-Lee-Sh!t.

The GYT twins were made by Power Inc. around the Fond Du Lac area for Yamaha. They have long since been out of the biz. They offered them for the 1994-1996 model VMax 600's. There was supposed to be a set available for the new 1997 models when they went into the trailing arm chassis sleds. I know because I had ordered a 1997 VMax 600 SX after trading in my 1993 Exciter II SX and I had intentions of installing a new set of GYT twins. They were actually shown in the Yamaha accessory catalog for 1997. I waited half the year after getting the sled and finally found out that Yamaha dropped them and would not offer them. They said Yamaha found them to be too temperamental on this updated motor. Remember there is difference between these two motors (1996 to 1997) which includes triple exhaust ports on the '97's.

Later that season I was attending a snocross race watching Chris Vincent pilot a new 1997 600SX at Canterbury Park. I was wearing a Yamaha racing jacket and probably stood out like a sore thumb with all of the Cat or Polaris coats. Up comes Jim Kedinger from Yamaha R&D and strikes up a conversation. Well after some good convo he told me what to do to wake my SX up. All those 600 twins from '97 up came with a very thick 1.4mm head gasket allowing you to run skunk piss in it, there were two thinner ones available, a 0.8mm or a 0.6mm, I chose the 0.6mm but yes you must run premium only fuel but it really bumps the compression. At the time Bender Racing had a muffler can that was the only one available for this sled that did not lose power, it actually helped and sounded nice but not abusive. I bought one and tested it against a constant machine like I always did and it was good for a couple sled lengths. I ran a primary spring that was available from Reichard's Performance too. Those little mods really woke that sled up and I would say it would rival my 1993 Exciter SX after that was dialed. Later on I had the cylinder's mildly ported and ran a set of Bender adjustable weight arms that were much like Heavy Hitters that made this sled go even better.

All that being said I would be leary of those twin pipes. Might be a real headache in fact.

so for trying to pout the twin in... well will be a later project. Not the same bolt pattern. 8 on the twin versus 4 on single.

TWIN PIPE.jpg

I had a set of those on a 95 Vmax 600 and it was a bear for a 600. I first bought a set of Riechard pipes, and used their carb and clutch setup for my sled. That set of pipes was so loud it was impossible to trail ride it. I took a silencer from a stock single pipe and mounted it in the chassis and welded in the fittings. Didn't really slow it much, but sounded real good. DNR didn't think so and wrote me a ticket up around Sayner, Wi. $126.40 cash on the spot, never forget it. Had 4 hours to get the sled parked or could get another ticket if stopped after that. I ended up with a set of the GYT pipes, and used Riechards carb and clutch specs, the sled was still a bear but lost a couple MPH on top. It would still out run most 700 SXs at the time. Only problem was it love its fuel, 9 to 10 mpg is all I could get. Buddies 700 SX did a bunch better, but it was all stock. He did have a can on it but took it off after my ticket. Found out later that year that the courts threw out all the tickets if ya went to court.

the problem with that motor is also in the carb, make sure to add to the fuel pick up line inside the bowls when we ran twins from aeans they came with them in a carb kit for there pipes.

the problem with that motor is also in the carb, make sure to add to the fuel pick up line inside the bowls when we ran twins from aeans they came with them in a carb kit for there pipes.

Can you expand on this ?

What do you mean by that? My carbs only had a Reichard dyno jet kit installed and I ran it that way for three seasons. Only burned 1 piston, one night when it was about -25 and ran out of gas at about 90 mph going across the lake. How was a fuel pickup installed in the carb? From where? If I remember right mine had an O ring that fit into the well on the carb. Don't see how any pickup could have been used.

Back