Bravo Compression

hms11

So now that I've got my little bravo starting, running and idling again (I also found a track for it!) I'm slowly going through it mechanically while we ride it around the property before I actually take it anywhere.

I put a compression tester on it the other night and I see I'm getting just under 120lbs of compression. Now, I'm way less familiar with 2 stroke motors compared to 4 strokes, but is this considered low?

A set of rings and top end gaskets for this thing are super cheap so I don't mind doing a top end overhaul but I don't want to waste my time if that kind of compression is considered fine.

120 psi is excellent!!!! I wouldn't touch the motor with numbers like that!

Generally 100 psi or less indicates time for a rebuild.

Last edited:
Good to know! I had no idea what I should have been looking for, I have literally never compression tested an air-cooled 2 stroke and being a single lung, it's not like I could compare two cylinders! I knew high performance liquid sleds are usually above 130psi somewhere and dirt bikes can get as high as 150-170 so I thought it might be low, but wasn't really sure.

She seems to be running great and starts perfectly, as Bravo's tend to do.

I might take the clutches apart and check them out, it feels a little weird when accelerating sometimes, hard to describe but they could probably use a good cleaning anyways!

Dude these are 20 hp air cooled tractors. There's nothing remotely comparable to high performance liquid cooled dirt bike engines....lol

Yes, go threw your Clutches, very likely the need a good cleaning and maybe a few parts.

Last edited:
Lol, thats why I figured I should reach out and see what I should be looking for because you are right, if there is the snowmobile equivelent of a tractor, the Bravo certainly fits the bill.

I also might be one of those people who has a habit of taking rebuild/repair projects far, far further than any rational person.

I'll inspect those clutches and see how they look!

Back