1998 SRX 700 Electrical Issues

travinboyle

Hello everyone , first time poster ,long time reader! Hoping someone could chime in on my issues

I have a 1998 SRX 700. Was running good , but i was getting a dim headlight every now and then and an idle surge in RPM. I checked all my wiring harness out and found no rub throughs or shorts that are common with these machines. I also was fouling out the PTO plug lots it seemed , however i went though the carbs and ensured they were spotless but was still fouling plugs.

Yesterday i had the machine warming up. I noticed that the MAG cylinder pipe was cold so I shut it off to change plugs. Once I changed the plug it would not fire. I was getting weak spark.

I have done the following tests :

1- check wiring harness for rubs/broken wires and found nothing
2- Stator output (w/g - w/y) plug to CDI box - unplugged from stator .77 VAC
3- Stator VAC going into CDI box (w/g - w/y) 2.4 VAC
4- CDI output (orange wire to coil plug) 75 VAC
5 - key and ignition shut off switches are working as required - when i turned key off and kill switch down as in off i would get no VAC when pulling rope.
6. There is continuity between all the coils
7. The coil has continuity to ground

I am kind of confused as to where to go from here as i have voltage coming from the source. On my polaris 700 last year i lost spark thinking it was the stator so i ordered a new stator but it turned out to be the CDI. I am wondering if a CDI is the problem here just now sure what wires give the CDI it's power to run the processor in it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Try new sparkplug caps they fail after awhile on the 98,never heard of a cdi to fail but the stators do and the flywheels rust on
the outside were the pickup works.

I put new spark plug caps on last winter and the flywheel is clean...just mind boggling how it was running 1 minute and then I shut it off and then it would not start...

The weak headlamp sounds like stator.When mine went it would only start when cold and finally no more. Check compression?

Compression is good , 130 on all cylinders.
I think i will order a used CDI see if that fixes it and if not then a stator

Well I just went out in the dark and tested for spark again. I changed the coil ground wire to the chocolate wire per schematic gave it a tug and it had spark! Jumping over an inch on my spark tester. My bet is still a faulty ignition component...
Stay tuned

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, a resistance check will not always find a faulty stator. You could try removing it and heating it up/cooling it down while monitoring the resistance but even that isn't full proof and others have only resolved the mystery with a replacement. I can't stress enough how easy it is to miss a rub-through unless the harness is removed a careful inspection of each wire is done.

Good luck!

So I put the pipes back on , cleaned the carbs and it fired up. I drove it into my garage to put up on the lift since it last died in my backyard. While I had it running I was moving all the wiring harness around to check for any change in light output or engine operation , what I did find was that when I wiggled the wires where they come out from behind the re-coil where the stator is mounted the engine would cut out and stall - I would have to jiggle the wires around to get it to start again but definately traced it down to a wiring issue where the wires are coming out of the stator behind the recoil. I had the stator out earlier this year to check for wiring issues and I noticed there was a bare spot on one of the wires ( i cant remember what one) but i hot melt glued it and wrapped the entire section in electrical tape.

At this stage I am thinking of ordering a new stator as reading through all the forums it seems to be the stator can cause random running conditions and I know there is an issue with the wires coming out of it. At best I could find the wire problem and if I am able to I could repair it and have a stator as a back up.

Thanks to all the input so far , and from everyone else who has posted how to repairs - with a multi meter it is pretty simple process to track down the no spark conditions

Got to working on the sled today (been busy) and I found 2 bare wires where they go into the pick up coil.

My part supplier lists part number #8ch-85510-01-00 as replacement trigger coil $33.99 CAD. Says fits most 700s 98 to 02. Running that part number it comes back to the non power valved 6/700 tripples

Do you guys think this trigger coil would still work? Be a lot cheaper than buying an entire stator assembly.

Thanks 20200302_122106.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Pull the harness that goes under the engine and inspect it closely. they were known to rub through on the clamps that fasten to the tunnel under engine.

Back