Thread: Slippage in the scondary

23 / 40 gearing sounds awfully high for a mountain max with a 151" track
    2000 Venture 700

-Head gasket thinned
    -Stainless reed stoppers notched
    -Cobra 1.35 x 136" track
    -Home made transfer rod
    -Boss Seat
    -Apex helix, 8ch weights, +2.8g per tip, wpw spring, 8dn belt, green sec @ 70
    -22-39 gears with reverse
    -Rox 3" risers
    -Plastic skis
    -Drilled can
    -Electric start system and ring gear removed.
    -LED headlight and tale light

Oh geez I shouldn't have missed that...good catch Vincent.

By comparison, my 144 Viper has 21/40, for a ratio of 2.14 with 8 tooth drivers.
    Sifton, at 23/40 with 8 tooth drivers you are at a 1.96 ratio with a longer track than I have. I believe Mnt. Max's were a 141 stock? I wonder if someone put a 151 on but then didn't gear it down.
    So it struggles to grip well with that tall of gearing until the belt gets warmed up a bit I'd say.
    With a 151" you want deep powder performance. If you play in powder a lot or hill climb in powder you probably know what your peak rpm is and what track speed you maintain when wide open in deep snow or climbing? Best for that is maintaining high track speed when it is under all that load. I think you'll want to be at around 21/41 or so. You'll have to then play with clutching after gearing it down.
    03 Mountain Viper, SLP Triples, SLP Flo-rites, gas rack, low profile blue windshield, NO underhood air going to the air box, (& no more powder bog)

Makes sense, I do have some lower gears and will see how that works. Thanks guys...

The Tech pages actually show that stock gearing on a 2000 MM 700 was the same as what I have, 21/40. If it was changed to 23/40 that doesn't make a lot of sense unless the previous owner was a top speed lake racer type person.
    20/40 would put you at 2.25 to 1 and 21/41 would put you at 2.20 to 1. I personally would start with the 21/41 and see how it does. I like to shoot for about a top speed of 75-80 mph on a mountain sled when deep snow performance is desired. Mine will do about 85 on the top end and I could probably benefit from dropping gearing a bit too. I currently see the speedo bounce between 49-51 mph track speed when climbing in deep snow.
    It's all about track speed in deep snow.
    After gearing it down it will need some clutch tuning. You'll have to see what peak rpm you are getting after changing the gearing and then more than likely add some tip weight to the primary arms.
    Last edited by mod-it; 02-19-2020 at 08:24 AM.
    03 Mountain Viper, SLP Triples, SLP Flo-rites, gas rack, low profile blue windshield, NO underhood air going to the air box, (& no more powder bog)

Quote Originally Posted by mod-it View Post
    The Tech pages actually show that stock gearing on a 2000 MM 700 was the same as what I have, 21/40. If it was changed to 23/40 that doesn't make a lot of sense unless the previous owner was a top speed lake racer type person.
    20/40 would put you at 2.25 to 1 and 21/41 would put you at 2.20 to 1. I personally would start with the 21/41 and see how it does. I like to shoot for about a top speed of 75-80 mph on a mountain sled when deep snow performance is desired. Mine will do about 85 on the top end and I could probably benefit from dropping gearing a bit too. I currently see the speedo bounce between 49-51 mph track speed when climbing in deep snow.
    It's all about track speed in deep snow.
    After gearing it down it will need some clutch tuning. You'll have to see what peak rpm you are getting after changing the gearing and then more than likely add some tip weight to the primary arms.
    Thank for the info. Since we have next to nothing up here for snow this year, agianů I am going to shorten this sled up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12