Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 97 Vmax 600 XT (twin) - 6 mpg normal?

Default 97 Vmax 600 XT (twin) - 6 mpg normal?

New oil pump, only checked setting at WOT and it was on the mark.
    have used regular (87) fuel and mid-grade (89) with same mpg.
    Using Yamalube 2s for oil.

Was told by previous owner that only think that was changed on it was a High Rev Clutch.

Is 6mpg normal? Is there anything I can do to get any more out of it?

I apologize if this has been asked/discussed before. I browsed the first few pages and nothing popped up for the 600 twin.

Senior Member Open Mod A couple of bucks's Avatar

Do you know how to ..... drop the needles?
    https://totallyamaha.net/showthread....t=Drop+needles
    Dannyboy

I'm assuming the fuel mileage wasn't better before the new oil pump since you're asking if 6 mpg is normal.
    I'm not familiar with your sled, so perhaps the milage is normal...someone else will have to chime in on that.
    I'm not familiar with a "high rev clutch"...there would be no advantage to raising the rpm's so that you're out of the peak HP powerband. I have heard of "overdrive" type clutches that allow the belt to ride a bit higher to get some more top end.
    First things I would check:
    1. Peak RPM. Your sled should go up to 7800 rpm and then hold there when you are at WOT (wide open throttle). A "high rev clutch" make me nervous that you are overturning 7800 rpm and that would certainly waste fuel.
    2. Jetting. What do your plugs look like? If they show you are jetted rich, you are wasting fuel. If you don't know how to read plugs, snap a pic for us. You want to check all 3 circuits: 0-1/4 throttle (pilot circuit), 1/4-3/4 throttle (needles), and WOT (main jets). To do these, run it for quite a while at 1/4 throttle and then hit the kill switch. Coast to a stop. Remove plugs and take a pic. Then do it again at 1/2 throttle, and then again after WOT. Used plugs color up faster than new ones will, so don't put new plugs in to do this test.

**EDIT**
    I see A Couple of Bucks posted a link while I was typing that says these are way rich in the mid range at factory setting. Depends on elevation and temp of course, but still verify what peak rpm you are seeing at WOT.
    Last edited by mod-it; 02-14-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    03 Mountain Viper, SLP Triples, SLP Flo-rites, gas rack, low profile blue windshield, NO underhood air going to the air box, (& no more powder bog)

Your needles and seats are shot. Probably as sloppy as a whore on nickel night.
    They are 23 years old after all.
    Dannyboy

Senior Member Open Mod norwegian's Avatar

I get 9,5 mpg on my venture 500, and a guy on here gets 11 mpg with his vt 600 with smart carb.
    02 SRX 700. The 120++ mph sled. Gearing, Dalton helix, belly pan protector, MM skis, Maxx perf transfer rods, TPI valves, temp gauge and heelclickers
    01 MM 700. Reedstopper notch, hauck headgasket, Heelclickers, Hauck Magnum roller, Dalton helix, transfer enhancement kit, temp gauge, bellypan protector.
    99 VT 600. European edition. Cargo rack, cargo box, tow hitch, 50/36 Dalton helix.
    97 VT 500.Tempaflow, dupont hyfax, belly pan protector, 39 deg helix, heeclickers, tow hitch.
    97 SX 600. Stock.

Junior Member Mini

Buy new nozzles from Yamaha. When you compare the new ones to the old ones you won't believe how much they've worn. Part number 8AY-14141-56-00

Quote Originally Posted by 74Nitro View Post
    Buy new nozzles from Yamaha. When you compare the new ones to the old ones you won't believe how much they've worn. Part number 8AY-14141-56-00
    Comparable to rocks in a stream. Eventually the constant flow wears them down.
    Dannyboy

sloppy as a whore on nickel night ?
    Oh my..... Lol !
    -------------------------
    1997 Yamaha XTC
    700 Redhead, Mr. Viper ported, CPR pipes, SRX reeds, Heelclickers, Dual bulb, LT Ohlins

1997 700 SX
    Thinned head gasket, Gutted Airbox, Reed Spacers, Bender Pipes, Viper Shocks, 51/43 helix 89L weights

2004 Viper S
    SLP pipes, peak performance head,

2001 SRX 700
    Power Inc. Pipes, Loaded 8DN20's, Hauck Y 51/45

1997 Mountain Max 700
    Black XTC Hood, Thinned Head Gasket, Gutted Air Box, Reed Stopper Notch, SLP Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by MisterHyde View Post
    Is 6mpg normal? Is there anything I can do to get any more out of it?

Doesn't sound normal from my experience. My question is, how are you riding the thing to get 6 mpg? Mileage GREATLY varies from leisurely riding on groomed trails to full-send down lakes in deep snow.

I'm thinking my Venture 500 and Vmax 600 would average 10-12 mpg US if I remember right. My Vmax 700 closer to 12. Last winter I went on a 200 km ride on groomed trails and deliberately rode nice and easy, never cracking full throttle. That 700 got 14.0 mpg US.
    '02 VK 540 III - my choice
    '99 Vmax 700 - backup
    '13 SRX 120 - last resort

my sx500r twin only got 9-10 mpg at its best. hit 6 mpg or worse a few times in bad conditions where the 700 tripples would only get 10-11 mpg.
    sleds
    540cc workhorse (vk 540)
    410cc reliable power (enticerII) rx tunnel braces
    500cc mutant margarita mixer (09 phazer rtx/x)
    1000cc of dependability (11 apex xtx)
    1000cc of yamaha excellence ( 16 apex xtx)

motorcycle's
    00 xt350 mod
    08 wr250x

atv
    2005 big bear pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast