97 Vmax 600 XT (twin) - 6 mpg normal?

MisterHyde

New oil pump, only checked setting at WOT and it was on the mark.
have used regular (87) fuel and mid-grade (89) with same mpg.
Using Yamalube 2s for oil.

Was told by previous owner that only think that was changed on it was a High Rev Clutch.

Is 6mpg normal? Is there anything I can do to get any more out of it?

I apologize if this has been asked/discussed before. I browsed the first few pages and nothing popped up for the 600 twin.

I'm assuming the fuel mileage wasn't better before the new oil pump since you're asking if 6 mpg is normal.
I'm not familiar with your sled, so perhaps the milage is normal...someone else will have to chime in on that.
I'm not familiar with a "high rev clutch"...there would be no advantage to raising the rpm's so that you're out of the peak HP powerband. I have heard of "overdrive" type clutches that allow the belt to ride a bit higher to get some more top end.
First things I would check:
1. Peak RPM. Your sled should go up to 7800 rpm and then hold there when you are at WOT (wide open throttle). A "high rev clutch" make me nervous that you are overturning 7800 rpm and that would certainly waste fuel.
2. Jetting. What do your plugs look like? If they show you are jetted rich, you are wasting fuel. If you don't know how to read plugs, snap a pic for us. You want to check all 3 circuits: 0-1/4 throttle (pilot circuit), 1/4-3/4 throttle (needles), and WOT (main jets). To do these, run it for quite a while at 1/4 throttle and then hit the kill switch. Coast to a stop. Remove plugs and take a pic. Then do it again at 1/2 throttle, and then again after WOT. Used plugs color up faster than new ones will, so don't put new plugs in to do this test.

**EDIT**
I see A Couple of Bucks posted a link while I was typing that says these are way rich in the mid range at factory setting. Depends on elevation and temp of course, but still verify what peak rpm you are seeing at WOT.

Last edited:
I get 9,5 mpg on my venture 500, and a guy on here gets 11 mpg with his vt 600 with smart carb.

Buy new nozzles from Yamaha. When you compare the new ones to the old ones you won't believe how much they've worn. Part number 8AY-14141-56-00

Is 6mpg normal? Is there anything I can do to get any more out of it?

Doesn't sound normal from my experience. My question is, how are you riding the thing to get 6 mpg? Mileage GREATLY varies from leisurely riding on groomed trails to full-send down lakes in deep snow.

I'm thinking my Venture 500 and Vmax 600 would average 10-12 mpg US if I remember right. My Vmax 700 closer to 12. Last winter I went on a 200 km ride on groomed trails and deliberately rode nice and easy, never cracking full throttle. That 700 got 14.0 mpg US.

my sx500r twin only got 9-10 mpg at its best. hit 6 mpg or worse a few times in bad conditions where the 700 tripples would only get 10-11 mpg.

Comparable to rocks in a stream. Eventually the constant flow wears them down.

They are brass which is soft. This is always the problem as sleds get older and the milage goes down.
This is the single biggest improvement that can be made to restore milage to what it was like when the machine was new.
Yamaha is starting to discontinue this part now on some models so get them while they last.

They are brass which is soft. This is always the problem as sleds get older and the milage goes down.
This is the single biggest improvement that can be made to restore milage to what it was like when the machine was new.
Yamaha is starting to discontinue this part now on some models so get them while they last.

Never heard of this before, thanks for the heads up!

Never heard of this before, thanks for the heads up!

My pleasure. Certain sizes for the early 700 red head are not available. Also note, in triples these are sometimes staggered like the main jets. Under no circumstances do I advise to go smaller than the stock setting. Don't ask me how I know, :)

My pleasure. Certain sizes for the early 700 red head are not available. Also note, in triples these are sometimes staggered like the main jets. Under no circumstances do I advise to go smaller than the stock setting. Don't ask me how I know, :)

Are these it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-02-19-14-44-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-02-19-14-44-04.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 21

Back