Where to purchase cdi box for 2000 sxr.

Old Rider

I recently purchased a 2000 Yamaha sxr 700 but a little worried after reading that if I have a cdi box failure they are not available at dealers or other distributors. Is sled junkyards the only option? I'd like to pick up a spare to have if I need one. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Welcome.

For my Sled and ATV, I often buy many parts on Amazon, Ebay and general online Power Toys parts stores - like Royal Distributing (in Ontario). This works for me...

Note: Before buying part, find its exact part number and see if it fits other makes/models as well. Just a few days ago, I had to buy a Starter Relay for my 1999 Yamaha Sled. Exact same part number fits Honda and Side-by-Side toys as well. Cross referencing part numbers might work for you as well...

Last edited:
Just curious,why the worry? I myself have never had to replace any cdi boxes in the 3 sxrs ive owned.

When ever I buy a sled I always see whats not available anymore pertaining to electronic parts that keep it running. I have done this for years and will always pick up a spare of this particular item in case one goes bad and I'm on the trail for a few hours or just started on a week trip with friends. I know its over cautious but there has been several times over the last 40 years it has paid off. I agree with you as my neighbor has owned many Yamaha 700 and 600 3 cylinders and never had a problem with CDI boxes but I can't change and always feel better knowing I have extra parts if I need them then not having them. Like carrying a concealed weapon, better to have it even though its rare you will ever need it then not to have it. Hope that answers your question

Back