Phazer engine rebuld?

Cherrypicker

This is actually a Venture XL, motor, but we took out a crank, last winter obtained a used one, got it put back together, but had so much difficulty reinstalling the cylinders that I wanted to explore alternate methods of doing so. I am in my 70's so my hands aren't as nimble as they once were. I have done this many times, always installed the piston/rings on con rod prior to sliding the cylinder down over. This process becomes more complicated when you have the long mounting studs, sometimes hard to get past them to compress the rings by hand. Don't know if others employ some sort of ring compressor or not. It occurred to me, that possibly you could insert the pistons in the cylinder prior to to connecting the piston to the con rod, not sure this would be much easier. Also thought about removing the long studs and once I had the cylinder seated on the crankcase reinstall the mounting studs/bolts.
Just wondering is anyone has done this, or what your experience has been.

Appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Did you clean and lubricate the long studs first? Mite be worth pulling two studs out per cylinder before installing the jugs.

Back