Philip's vs JIS screwdrivers

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Something I learned while owning a Japanese made sled is that fasteners that look like Philip's head are actually JIS. What's JIS you ask? It stands for Japanese Industrial Standard and you'll be able to tell it from a normal Philip's head drew by a dot on the head.
I recently had the carb rack apart on my '01 SRX to do some work and found the previous owner stripped the heads of 2 screws at some point. After using a small chisel and hammer I got them out but to all you that do your own service work yourselves a favor and buy a set of JIS screwdrivers. Philip's may fit 90% of the time but it's that other 10% when the head rounds out because of a loose fit. Trust me.
de9a37edcf9d709b4b7f43b13cc646d1.jpg
c4375c75e958cd534d245c2779666600.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Something I learned while owning a Japanese made sled is that fasteners that look like Philip's head are actually JIS. What's JIS you ask? It stands for Japanese Industrial Standard and you'll be able to tell it from a normal Philip's head drew by a dot on the head.
I recently had the carb rack apart on my '01 SRX to do some work and found the previous owner stripped the heads of 2 screws at some point. After using a small chisel and hammer I got them out but to all you that do your own service work yourselves a favor and buy a set of JIS screwdrivers. Philip's may fit 90% of the time but it's that other 10% when the head rounds out because of a loose fit. Trust me.
de9a37edcf9d709b4b7f43b13cc646d1.jpg
c4375c75e958cd534d245c2779666600.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I recommend using a new philip's bit when servicing carb screws. It won't work on screws that are like to one in your pic, but it will keep fresh screws from ending up like yours.

For screws like the messed up in your pic, I use side cutters (provided the screw head isn't hidden in a recess) head on, squeeze to indent into the screw head and twist.

or just replace those screws with allen head screws and be done with those little strippers

Back