1981 SRX info

bobmaster65

​I just bought a 1981 SRX as I always loved the look but finding any information on those is nearly impossible.
Would be really appreciated if anyone have a service shop manual/ service manual, or have info more exactly on the carbs(as I found some rubber plugs laying at the Bottom, similar to the phazers) and oïl for the pump drive(oïl level check) .

Attachments

• srx.jpg
    srx.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 14
  • srx2.jpg
    srx2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 10
  • srx3.jpg
    srx3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 9
  • srx4.jpg
    srx4.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 9
  • srx5.jpg
    srx5.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 10

Welcome aboard the TY forums.Cool sled,only saw one once in my life(friend had one in town in early 2002 with an Arctic Cat engine:o|).

The sled is nearing 40 years old, lots of knowledgeable guys on vintagesleds.com so maybe try there?

Some times an appetizer and sometimes a main course... depended if someone farted within a kilometer of the sled... man the constant tuning I did on that sled!

1981 SRX Service Manual

​I just bought a 1981 SRX as I always loved the look but finding any information on those is nearly impossible.
Would be really appreciated if anyone have a service shop manual/ service manual, or have info more exactly on the carbs(as I found some rubber plugs laying at the Bottom, similar to the phazers) and oïl for the pump drive(oïl level check) .

Did you track down a service manual. I have a service manual for my 81 in hard copy. Would need to get it scanned.

Actually the butterfly carbs were most of the problems with those sleds. They also had a problem with some bad clutches from comet and that caused crank shaft failures. The taper was bored wrong and the cranks failed. Yamaha did a recall on those sleds and many were junked. In 83 Yamaha allowed so much for trade in on a New 540 Vmax. I knew at least 4 guys that took advantage of that program. Yamaha sent a rep around to destroy the engine in those sleds. That was a joke, I witnessed that. He took a center punch and made a deep mark in the plug threads and punched the center of the pistons. Just run a tap in the head to clean up the threads and that was it. Pistons weren't affected at least on the 4 machines that was at my local dealer. I was supposed to get one of those machines but the owner changed his mind on me. I bought one in Sayner Wisconsin around 1996 or so, it had a broken front axle. Bought it cheap too. Went over to JRs in Woodruff and bought a used axle and we had that sled running in a couple hours. My eldest daughter road that sled for a couple seasons.

Hey NorthofSixty, I havent found any more info on that sled. Your service manual would be great help to get that beast running how it should. kinda lot of work for you tho.

If you don't care if you keep it stock or not, and want to ride it. Try a set of 38MM carbs off of a 83 to 87 Vmax 540. I put a set of 540 carbs on a 440 SRX that I bought in Wi. years ago. It was a good sled after that, ran great, and never ate a piston while I had it. My kids rode it for 2 or 3 seasons before I sold it. Throttle cable and choke cables from a 540 works perfect.

Back