Coolant leak

Water pump

Wish I could help more, but have never had an issue with one, so I have never had one apart.

Water pump

Wish I could help more, but have never had an issue with one, so I have never had one apart.

Hey no worries, all the help is truly appreciated even if minimal. To the point that I am now I will definitely put a new oil seal and mechanical seal. I did it when I had the engine out last winter. Will e fun to find out if it is as easy with the engine in place!!!

hopefully I can get the parts fast with that covid thing slowing everything down ....

So, whats up with the leak?
Figure anything out ?

Hi!

I ordered a new mechanical seal and oil seal for the water pump, waiting for it. Not sure when it will arrive, with covid everything is slower....

In the meantime, I am attempting to rule out issues with the head or cylinders. I am performing a air pressure test. I am pushing 70psi and waiting to see if it drops.

I am guessing that 70 psi is probably more then enough....

pressure test.jpg

I've never seen anyone test like this. Does that set up hold pressure? i cant see why not.

I've never seen anyone test like this. Does that set up hold pressure? i cant see why not.

:) I dont not know how to do it other then like that.... especially on a Sunday when all the store are closed here because of covid. I had to improvise with what I could find in my garage. Yes it does hold but needed a bit of tweaking AKA silicone.... I am pushing air through the temperature gauge hole and was not able to find the perfect size & thread fitting to put there, close but not enough. So I had to poor some silicone on the threads, teflon tape and pipe dope would not make the seal.

So far I am loosing a tiny bit of air where I have the plywood squeezed with clamps. I do have a sheet of rubber and silicone under there but at 90psi it was too much. probably should have stick with 70psi....

I dont know how much pressure the coolant system have to withstand when the engine is on and building pressure with the heat...??? anyone know?

I will probably remove the plywood and fab a sheet of metal instead with longer 3/8 threaded rods. This will allow me to apply a better pressure/seal...

I will also fill the cylinders & head with water. If something is cracked I should see some bubble....

I can tell you this. I have a coolant pressure tester, it goes on the over flow tank.
It has a hand pump to pressurize the system. When I got up to around 7 PSI, I could hear the running board heat exchangers starting to make cracking noises.
So, zero chance you need to check at 70 PSI for coolant.

I can tell you this. I have a coolant pressure tester, it goes on the over flow tank.
It has a hand pump to pressurize the system. When I got up to around 7 PSI, I could hear the running board heat exchangers starting to make cracking noises.
So, zero chance you need to check at 70 PSI for coolant.

Great! I thought something like that to because of those clamp that holds the hoses in places, they are not super tight.

I've said it before ---- he'll throw it there and you walk by...… ha that's a couple bucks--you must be rich----well e fun for you too...……….

Back