87 Octane and DCS Light Flashing

duwem

I put a Bender 4x4 single pipe and can on, along with clutch kit before this season
Have always run 91 octane no ethanol fuel, well last fill was 87 E10. Buzzing across some big fields the DCS light was coming on and off.
Is it the 87? Will be switching back to 91 non ethanol on the next tank.
Was around 15F out today. Most riding this season has been closer to 30F.

Last edited:

what sled?

dcs retards the timing to prevent detonation. it could be the 87 but i run that in my dad's 05 sx venture that has dcs with no issues but i do add sea foam each tank as it really helps keep the power valves cleaner.

it could be the clutch kit triggering it as i don't think the pipe would do that unless snow was hitting it. dad's used to trip all the time until i replaced the track on the sled to one opened every window. now have not seen it trip for the last 5 years at least.

The lowest octane your sled will accept will make the most power from the way I understand it, but it’s a dangerous game...

I'm not sorry I sounded like a d!ck. I just wanted to drive it home & leave a lasting impression. Please leave the 87 for a non power valved, no mods sled. You are really rolling the dice by doing that. Especially on a hot(timing) Vipe.
91 or 93 only at the pumps. After all, you want to keep her alive. And not on the end of a tow rope.

Last edited:
Interesting, can you share more info on this?

there are no performance mods on this sled other than clutching. on 91 it gets boggy and lazy. on 87, it is snappy and pulls harder. plug chops always look good so i run 87 during the season when it will all get burned up in it and run 91 at the end for storage purposes.

Would you recommend 91 for all years of the sx viper? I've been running mostly 87 on my 02 SX, no issues, no lights flashing.
From my service manual:

Octane sx viper .png

The Viper does NOT require premium. I have the 2002 Yamaha technical update book right in front of me. Bottom of page 2-52 - 'The SXV uses standard BR9ES spark plugs and runs with regular unleaded gasoline.'

The Viper does NOT require premium. I have the 2002 Yamaha technical update book right in front of me. Bottom of page 2-52 - 'The SXV uses standard BR9ES spark plugs and runs with regular unleaded gasoline.'

today's gasoline is not the same as it was in 2002, I would definitely run premium!

Back