02 Viper 780 BB - Help Needed

sleavitt

Good Morning Folks,

I took the Ol' Viper out for a rip last night. Ran flawlessly for probably 20-30 miles. On the way back home I opened her up on the lake a few times. All of a sudden I lost power and it started bogging. It backfired a few times. I got the sled to shore and checked plugs. All three were a little lean but no evidence of bad cylinder (metal shavings on the plugs, broken plugs, etc). I threw three brand new plugs in and fired it up. No change, low power and backfiring.

That's where I left it last night. I haven't done any compression tests or anything else for that matter.

I figured I would pose the situation to you folks and see what people have for thoughts/suggestions.

'02 Viper ER
780BB Kit
CPR Triple Pipes
VForce3 Reeds
MegaPower Billet Head

Most likely you stuffed a ring. When we run lean the aluminum piston begins to overheat on the exhaust side on the piston. The aluminum starts to melt down to the ring and we loose compression. If your lucky....... as you seem to be a new piston and ring set should fix this. In more extreme cases a cylinder is needed. Don't forget to re jet. Or run better fuel. I run a blend of 100LL airplane fuel for that very reason. I will post some pics of my plugs running ultra lean with 1000 foot pulls. My sled is always on the lean edge drag racing it.
---mac---

Most likely you stuffed a ring. When we run lean the aluminum piston begins to overheat on the exhaust side on the piston. The aluminum starts to melt down to the ring and we loose compression. If your lucky....... as you seem to be a new piston and ring set should fix this. In more extreme cases a cylinder is needed. Don't forget to re jet. Or run better fuel. I run a blend of 100LL airplane fuel for that very reason. I will post some pics of my plugs running ultra lean with 1000 foot pulls. My sled is always on the lean edge drag racing it.
---mac---

Thanks Mac.....I do run the best fuel I can get which is 93 and have been for about 4-5 yrs now without issue.....well until now....lol!! But octane only controls detonation and doesn't really have anything to do with running lean or rich, that is all about the volume of gas/oil presented to the combustion chamber.

Agreed check comp. Then pull the pipes and look into the exhaust port. If the piston has damage you will see it.

Back