differences between 600 to 700 triples

farmerbrown

blew a crank bearing on my 1999 venture@ 24000km. I also have a sx700R with 22000km with one poor cylinder. I Found a "gently used" 700 motor that is apparently out of a 2002 vmax,+/- 7000km. According to part #s all three have different crankcases. 8CH-15100-01 in the 99 venture, 8CH-15100-02 in the 2000 SX700R and 8CH-15100-03 in the 2002 vmax.
Are there physical differences between them or are they interchangeable? The Stators are also off by 1 digit on the venture 600 and the SX700R.
I assume different stator and rotor on the the 2002 is due to the twin headlight?
CDI boxes also have different part #'s and I assume need to be matched to motor or to Stator?
Long story short... Can I take the newer 700 motor, put the stator from my SX700R in it, and put it in my Venture? I would also switch the CDI box as well. Is the older Stator compatible with the newer Crankcase??
Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!!
Trying to watch my budget, as a 1999 Venture with 24000km isn't a real highly valued Item anymore!!

Last edited:

The headlight tells the story.
If it’s dual bulb, it’s a 300 watt case and stator.
If it’s single bulb, it’s a 75 watt case and stator.
Can’t use a 300 watt stator in a 75 watt case, (without modification)they mount differently.

Ok, Thanks for the info. I will also assume then that 75 watt stator won't fit right in a 300 watt case? (without modification)

blew a crank bearing on my 1999 venture@ 24000km. I also have a sx700R with 22000km with one poor cylinder. I Found a "gently used" 700 motor that is apparently out of a 2002 vmax,+/- 7000km. According to part #s all three have different crankcases. 8CH-15100-01 in the 99 venture, 8CH-15100-02 in the 2000 SX700R and 8CH-15100-03 in the 2002 vmax.
Are there physical differences between them or are they interchangeable? The Stators are also off by 1 digit on the venture 600 and the SX700R.
I assume different stator and rotor on the the 2002 is due to the twin headlight?
CDI boxes also have different part #'s and I assume need to be matched to motor or to Stator?
Long story short... Can I take the newer 700 motor, put the stator from my SX700R in it, and put it in my Venture? I would also switch the CDI box as well. Is the older Stator compatible with the newer Crankcase??
Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!!
Trying to watch my budget, as a 1999 Venture with 24000km isn't a real highly valued Item anymore!!

24,000 & 22,000 !!!!!!!! That right there is good engineering and reasonable maintenance. Nice job.

Signing off
Downtown Brown

Haha, as pointed out below, that is km, not miles, but still impressive for a 2 stroke! I can't take full credit for the maintenance on the Venture as I just picked it up last year with 20,500 km on it. Tore down the top end because I figured the least I could do for the old girl was put in a set of rings. Measured piston wear and cylinders and all was still well within the service manual specs and everything looked mint! Unfortunately, I suspect the previous owner had let it sit for a few years before I got it and there must have been condensation in the pto side cylinder, as it was the inner pto bearing that failed on me and the other one in that cylinder also has a bit of a growl to it... must have had some rust spots on them?? all the other bearings on crank are tight and smooth as new.
My wife says its time to park it and move on to something newer, but i'm determined to take it beyond 30,000km. And besides, my old 2 stroke triple sounds way cooler than her Nytro!

Long story short... Can I take the newer 700 motor, put the stator from my SX700R in it, and put it in my Venture? I would also switch the CDI box as well. Is the older Stator compatible with the newer Crankcase??...

Yes and Yes to both of these questions.
However.
If the 1999 stator is still good I would be more inclined to put it into the newer 700 motor, instead of breaking into a 3rd motor for a good existing part that's already with the sled being worked on.
Carburetors for 700 are larger than for 600, so you may want to install the SXR carbs in your new "Venture 700". No matter which way you go, it would be a good idea to know what tuning parts are in the carbs, and keep an eye on the spark plugs and piston wash to make sure you're not too rich or lean.
Oil pumps have different part numbers, I'd use either of the 700 oil pumps in this case.
Optimum clutch tuning will be different as well.

Another option for you if the 700 SXR bottom end is good (crank, cases, generator), is to install your assumed good 600 top end on it (cylinders, pistons, head). Use new Yamaha gaskets and piston rings as needed, and get 'er back out on the snow!

If your SXR poor cylinder was caused by a leaking crank seal, you'll want to rebuild the bottom end. Might be a good idea anyway at this age if the crank seals are original, as they don't last forever.

Yes and Yes to both of these questions.
However.
If the 1999 stator is still good I would be more inclined to put it into the newer 700 motor, instead of breaking into a 3rd motor for a good existing part that's already with the sled being worked on.
Carburetors for 700 are larger than for 600, so you may want to install the SXR carbs in your new "Venture 700". No matter which way you go, it would be a good idea to know what tuning parts are in the carbs, and keep an eye on the spark plugs and piston wash to make sure you're not too rich or lean.
Oil pumps have different part numbers, I'd use either of the 700 oil pumps in this case.
Optimum clutch tuning will be different as well.

Another option for you if the 700 SXR bottom end is good (crank, cases, generator), is to install your assumed good 600 top end on it (cylinders, pistons, head). Use new Yamaha gaskets and piston rings as needed, and get 'er back out on the snow!

If your SXR poor cylinder was caused by a leaking crank seal, you'll want to rebuild the bottom end. Might be a good idea anyway at this age if the crank seals are original, as they don't last forever.

Ok, interesting. This is great news, for me, but I'm somewhat concerned as this is different info than what Murder Yamaha provided in his response? Don't mean to second guess anyone, if your speaking from experience then Iwould be cofident it would work.
As far as engine swapping goes, it was my intention to put my good 600 top end on the sx700r Crank. We beleive the poor cylinder on the SX was caused by overheating once while taking a trail that led through a town ( no snow) The piston has a slight bit of a scuff on the side and the nicasil is starting to wear away around the exhaust port. Still runs great but not the sort of thing I'd plan to put another 10,000 km on.
I'd then part out the left overs, or keep what"s still useful to me.
I had planned to switch carbs as well.

Facts are that the pickup coil for the stator mounts differently with the 300 watt
system as compared to the 75 watt.
You can work around that if you want to relocate the mounting location via welding.

Facts are that the pickup coil for the stator mounts differently with the 300 watt
system as compared to the 75 watt.
You can work around that if you want to relocate the mounting location via welding.

Facts are that the 2001-2006 Redhead triple crankcases replace the 1998-2000 crankcases, they are interchangeable (they also replace the 1997 Redhead crankcases, but the 1997 crankcases do not interchange with the 1998-up crankcases). Check your part number supersessions, the -03 redhead case replaces the -02 and -01. Additionally, in 2001 both the 600 & 700 Redheads used the same crankcases (-03), yet the 300w system was only used on the 700 (first year for 300w in a Redhead). The 2001 Redhead 600 still used the 175w system, again interchangeability of the cases. I'm not sure where you guys are coming up with 75 watt systems, these sleds are either 175 watt single bulb headlight or 300 watt dual bulb headlight systems from the factory.

Last edited:
in the sx engine the cases are the same if after 1997, 97 was on its own due to bearing set up on crank. Yamaha did a slick move by making the flywheel outer diameters the same on the sxr engine instead of casting another cases like they did with the srx engine. It has 4 magnets on outside of it on the 2001 units as opposed to the 3 magent units on the 175 watt systems. As long as you use the 2001 4 magnet flywheel you can add the 300 watt stator to the 98-2000 sxr cases. you also need the whole wire harness, headlight and shroud off the 2001 and later

That’s good info, I was always told different.

So, even with a 1997 case, you can still use the 300 watt flywheel and stator?

Facts are that the 2001-2006 Redhead triple crankcases replace the 1998-2000 crankcases, they are interchangeable (they also replace the 1997 Redhead crankcases, but the 1997 crankcases do not interchange with the 1998-up crankcases). Check your part number supersessions, the -03 redhead case replaces the -02 and -01. Additionally, in 2001 both the 600 & 700 Redheads used the same crankcases (-03), yet the 300w system was only used on the 700 (first year for 300w in a Redhead). The 2001 Redhead 600 still used the 175w system, again interchangeability of the cases. I'm not sure where you guys are coming up with 75 watt systems, these sleds are either 175 watt single bulb headlight or 300 watt dual bulb headlight systems from the factory.

There you go bud. You were right. My apologies for being wrong.....

No problem Vincent, just happy to help out farmerbrown with the information he was asking about.

Back