phazer 2 carb plugs-----Again!!

toddmod

For the past 3 years I've been running my 90 phazer with the plugs in the wrong spot! center and not over pilot! with a terrible mid range stumble! I compensate with the fuel screw adjustment to 3/4 to compensate! It runs ok, but not great, especially mid range. I revisit site to look at possible causes and I see the plug must be over pilot!! Period. Ok, so I pull carbs, go through them, Finally going to fix this long last problem!! put plugs in center and over pilot jet,( good plugs fit nice) turn fuel screw back out to factory spec- 1-1/2. pull air horn side air jets, make sure those passages are clear, put back together......................Will only run with choke!!! seems cleaner until it dies!! but can't keep it running w/o choke!!! What am I missing?? Please Help!!!!

For the past 3 years I've been running my 90 phazer with the plugs in the wrong spot! center and not over pilot! with a terrible mid range stumble! I compensate with the fuel screw adjustment to 3/4 to compensate! It runs ok, but not great, especially mid range. I revisit site to look at possible causes and I see the plug must be over pilot!! Period. Ok, so I pull carbs, go through them, Finally going to fix this long last problem!! put plugs in center and over pilot jet,( good plugs fit nice) turn fuel screw back out to factory spec- 1-1/2. pull air horn side air jets, make sure those passages are clear, put back together......................Will only run with choke!!! seems cleaner until it dies!! but can't keep it running w/o choke!!! What am I missing?? Please Help!!!!
I might have made a break through!!
After looking at rebuild kits for my carbs that aren't matching up??( specifically the front air bleeds) I realize the carbs that I have match up to a 2000 phazer 500!! which has 2 front .8 air bleeds like mine do, and the main jet illustration looks the same, AND the plug orientation for these carbs is 1 single plug in the center only!!! I hope I have finally resolved my problem!! When I get home tonight I will change the plug location to 1 center and correct fuel screw to 1 turn out like it says and see how/if it runs- ill keep you posted

This snowmobile is now fixed and has NEVER run so good!! No more mid range bobble! clean and the way it should be. Lesson learned- Pay attention to the small details when identifying your carbs!! These carbs had air bleeds- Not per year of snowmobile though.small detail that made me search internet (babbits)(ebay) for what I had. after looking at carbs on ebay closely you could see open passages w/o bleeds! Then looking at kits for rebuilding carbs w/ the bleeds led me to 2000 phazer 500(485) carbs with bleeds and a center only plug!! Not 2 like i have been running for 3 yrs!!Bottom line- Details! Fixed!

Back