Piston doesn’t reach top of cylinder 2000 SRX

srx700pilot

First srx I’ve ever had trouble with. Riding last weekend sled was running perfect. Out of no where immediate loss of power like piston and rings were sticking. I shut it down immediately. I tried slowly pulling it over to see how it felt. It pulled over, but felt like rings were sticking. Then it literally locked up. I pulled heads off to look. It now pulls over, but you can feel it’s sticking somewhere. The pistons don’t show obvious damage to me, and I don’t see any cylinder scouring. I’m a total rookie, as I’ve never even pulled the heads on any of my srx’s. I notice that the clutch side piston does not come all the way to the top, and if I physically push on it when it’s at the TDC, it moves about a mm before the other two pistons or crankshaft move. If I push on the center and mag side pistons, They seam to have no play when I push them down. Is this problem going to be more than putting in piston and rings on all 3?

thanks.

Last edited:

sounds like you have lost the lower connecting rod bearing. pull off that cylinder and youll know in 1 second, grab the rod and if it moves up and down on crank, its gonna need a total rebuild.

Back