01 sx500r conversion to a 600 with sleeves.

Chriscraft312

Hi, so I rebuilt the top end of my sx500r last fall and after riding all season I am starting to hear piston slap, or at least that's what I think it is until I can tear it apart again. I believe I honed the cylinders too much and might have taken too much of the coating off. The plugs show no signs of metal shavings and the engine seems to have plenty of power, same as my other vmax 500sx. I am now debating to sleeve the cylinders possibly. This company called LA sleeves has the stock 68mm bore sleeves for 70 bucks each or for the big bore 600cc sleeves for 39 each. Was wondering if anyone has ever converted a 500 to a 600 twin. I think the lower crankcase is all the same but not sure about the head or what you gotta do to the jetting on the carbs. Any advice would help, Thanks guys!

Bottom end is the same, but IMO, you would be MUCH better off to Ebay a good used set of stock 600 cylinders.
If you sleeve, you will have steel sleeves. Stock is Aluminum - Nikasil plated, much better than steel.

Do you know if the head stays the same? Also guessing you will have to rejet the carbs and maybe do something to the clutch if its turned into a 600.

Most will have to change to 600 specs. Jetting, clutching, cylinder head.
You may be able to use stock wiring and CDI, but the 600 has a better timing advance than a 500, so it wouldn't be optimized.

Yuck, sounds like a lot of messing around. Think I will just try to find some decent 500 cylinders or send mine in for recoating. At least now I know if I find a problem with the crankcase or shaft I can replace it with a used 500 or 600. Thanks you for the help!

Yep !
U.S. Chrome does good work, I have sent my cylinders in to be replated a few times.
Then you have the peace of mind knowing they are perfect.

Back