Looking for a better ride quality for my next sled - need help

apex and vector share pretty much all the same suspension components. might just be a difference in some suspension calibration specs.

The newer Apex have power steering.

The vector is a 3 cylinder and the apex is 4. I road a 3 cylinder and there is not near the amount of felt torque when you use the throttle. Felt like I could only use about quarter to half throttle and then there was no change from half to full. That said, I know there are a lot of variables that can make that feel that way.

The suspensions are similar, so it really depends on what you want. Here is a metaphor that we use. The vector is a "sports" car with a v6. It rides well and has some power. The Apex (121) is the sports car with the biggest v8. The Attak (Apex 136) is the Luxury 4 door sedan that has the biggest v8. Rides great and great to go on long trips. Now you want to kick it up a notch and have some fun, now you use more than just a little throttle and you feel the full potential!!!!!!!

Which ever you chose, you wont be disappointed! You have the sports car of the snowmobile world!

Ok I just found a 2009 Apex with 7000 hours on in and looks to be in really nice condition. Only problem is the exhaust donuts need to be replaced. Is this a hard job to do and how much for parts? I can get the sled for $2500. I am very handy with tools and have done a lot of work on sleds in the past, just want to make sure I am not getting myself into something major to do

Apex is a great sled. You can check the 4 stroke side for much more info on them and repairs. There are a lot more people there with knowledge.

opsled

Ok I just found a 2009 Apex with 7000 hours on in and looks to be in really nice condition. Only problem is the exhaust donuts need to be replaced. Is this a hard job to do and how much for parts? I can get the sled for $2500. I am very handy with tools and have done a lot of work on sleds in the past, just want to make sure I am not getting myself into something major to do

all depends on if the flanges are in bad shape are not, while the apex/attak is an awesome sled they do have their issues as they age. I decided 3 years ago that I wanted one and I looked at many but if you start researching on the 4 stroke side you'll find there are things that need to be addressed.
Jackshaft and Speedo bearings = money, rebuilding shocks = money, they dart like crazy and push unless you have decent skis and carbides, the engagement is high and requires a softstart spring for most people=money.
At this age mileage really doesn't have a whole lot to do with it because most of the sleds from that era need to have the above items addressed anyways due to their age.

all depends on if the flanges are in bad shape are not, while the apex/attak is an awesome sled they do have their issues as they age. I decided 3 years ago that I wanted one and I looked at many but if you start researching on the 4 stroke side you'll find there are things that need to be addressed.
Jackshaft and Speedo bearings = money, rebuilding shocks = money, they dart like crazy and push unless you have decent skis and carbides, the engagement is high and requires a softstart spring for most people=money.
At this age mileage really doesn't have a whole lot to do with it because most of the sleds from that era need to have the above items addressed anyways due to their age.

No doubt once they get past the decade(12000KMs) mark they become money pits.I spent close to 4 grand CDN to keep my 04warrior in trail worthy condition(New track,battery,suspension/steering bushings,bearings,exhaust donuts and the whole exhaust system,and the running board coolers that decided to leak)If i traded it when i bought my 2014 Phazer i could of saved a bundle but a least now its eating no bread(For the moment:babe:)

dounuts are not a bad job as long as the y pipes and bellows are good.

the 11 apex in my signature is at 28000 km and counting. bearings are a maintenece item for the speedo and the wheels every season for me as i repack/replace them as needed. last year the track was at the replace or walk time for me at 25000 km on it. done the donuts one it once, exup cables once, primary clutch once, slides 3 times and rebushed the front end once. i am not gentle on it and have bent/replaced other parts on it but i do not count those other than operator error. i did put the running board braces on it witch help save the coolers under the running boards.

For the primary spring is this the soft start spring people are using in the clutch

https://www.barnofparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/7079922

What color is the stock secondary clutch spring? Pink?

With 7800 miles I would like to replace both springs.

Yup, that's the one. I'd also recommend the vespel DuPont sliders, and as long as you're ordering the clutch spring you might as well get snow trackers because that sled in my opinion badly needs them, speedometer and jackshaft bearings either replace or greased, upgrade the hand warmers as the originals seem to work poorly, oil light bushings for the front end as those are usually worn and that's all I can think of right now.
Their awesome sleds but they do need a little care to keep them running smoothly and if you're gonna do it I suggest doing it right! I've done this all to my sled and it's fantastic and it's a damn shame I don't get to ride the thing with the poor winter in southern Wisconsin so I'm selling it

Sled is all taken apart now and found one of the flanges on the exhaust broken off. Has anyone tried TIG welding them back on? Any recommendation on were to purchase a used or new Y pipe if it can't be fixed?

Sled is all taken apart now and found one of the flanges on the exhaust broken off. Has anyone tried TIG welding them back on? Any recommendation on were to purchase a used or new Y pipe if it can't be fixed?

Replace all(Not just one)because the rest will fail not long after(Trust me i been there:shock:)

Does anyone have the part number for the tall windshield and a good location to purchase one from?

Just wanted to give everyone an update of what has been done now

- Engine oil and filter changed
- Chain case oil changed
- Antifreeze flushed
- New spark plugs
- Jackshaft bearing repacked with grease
- Speedo bearing repacked with grease
- Primary and Secondary clutches cleaned
- New secondary spring order
- New soft start primary spring order
- New exhaust donuts
- Purchase used Y pipe for section that has flanges broken off
- New high windshield purchased
- New slides
- New bearings for bogie wheels
- Replaced rear bogie wheel shaft with used unit as bearing was spun on shaft and damaged the shaft
- Replace broken piece of plastic around head light
- Replaced missing mud flap
- Grease complete sled

Just wanted to give everyone an update of what has been done now

- Engine oil and filter changed
- Chain case oil changed
- Antifreeze flushed
- New spark plugs
- Jackshaft bearing repacked with grease
- Speedo bearing repacked with grease
- Primary and Secondary clutches cleaned
- New secondary spring order
- New soft start primary spring order
- New exhaust donuts
- Purchase used Y pipe for section that has flanges broken off
- New high windshield purchased
- New slides
- New bearings for bogie wheels
- Replaced rear bogie wheel shaft with used unit as bearing was spun on shaft and damaged the shaft
- Replace broken piece of plastic around head light
- Replaced missing mud flap
- Grease complete sled

Nicely Done! I did most of that to my sled as well. So far I thing the only thing that you did that is different from a 2 stroke is the oil change. LOL! I glad you found the soft start spring. It is amazing. make a big difference! Now just spend the time to find the carbides and suspension set up that works for you. I can go into more depth at my set up if you want. Just send me a PM.

As a VIP member now how do I go down loading the owners manual? What location do I need to go to so I can find it?

Back