What would cause a thermostat to do this

Mortagleus

Sled was overheating after about 1/2 hour mild riding on lake and trail. Think i had air in rear exchanger, got what air out i thought was there. After few days and took sled out and same thing. Pulled the thermostat and replaced it. Ive attache dthe old one because it was messed up. Wondering what would cause it to do this and if you guys may think the overheating was because of this. Thanks

Attachments

• Resized_20200227_150145.jpg
    Resized_20200227_150145.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 23

Sled was overheating after about 1/2 hour mild riding on lake and trail. Think i had air in rear exchanger, got what air out i thought was there. After few days and took sled out and same thing. Pulled the thermostat and replaced it. Ive attache dthe old one because it was messed up. Wondering what would cause it to do this and if you guys may think the overheating was because of this. Thanks

The chamber that houses the expandable wax motor/pellet begins to leak allowing coolant into it which leads to early to open and over extension.

Sorry Im not following "wax motor/pellet" could you explain further?

The wax pellet expands with heat and pushes the rod that lifts the poppet valve off its seat. The seal at the rod will leak over time and allow coolant into the chamber when the pellet is contracted. When the pellet expands, the coolant adds to the volume of the chamber thus over extending and also changing (lowering) the opening point.

Back