Plastic ski upgrade.. yes or no?

Johnny20

Would upgrading skis to plastic for 1998 Yamaha Ventures (one is a 700 triple and the other is a 500 twin) make a big difference in handling? They are original metal skis with plastic skins from factory. Normal use is 70% trail/30% off trail. If I do upgrade them, which width is better, 5” or 7”. The price difference is very small. And what carbides would be best, 4” or 6”?

Thanks in advance!

I did this on a 1997 venture 500, and it was worth it, handling improved, as well as ease of steering. Same story with the 1999 VT 600. Not sure about the width or carbide length, but bot ski sets came from 2001 ML 500, and I got new stock carbide sets for them. It also helped that the one pair was free from a sled I parted out, and the other pair cost 50 bucks.

plastic skis are a huge up grade over the stock steel skis. you might be able to score a set of take off tuner skis from an apex or vector model sled.

i prefer single keel skis with a 6" carbide and my prefered ski is the 09 apex/nitro/phazer mtx ski. they help the nose float better in the powder and handle really great on the trail for me.

https://totallyamaha.com/Totallyamaha/photoindexs/TYGwinn2012/GOPR0053.JPG

mtx skis went on it the next season.

Yes, big upgrade. I install a new set of 2012 tuner skis to replace an old cheap set of aftermaket plastics I had. So fare I'm liking the Yamaha tuner skis

Back