1987 Vmax 540 Clutching

BAA10

Guys,
I'm looking for some stock clutching info and if anyone has a upgraded setup let me know. It has the stock clutches on it. Pulled the secondary apart and cant find any numbers on the helix. Thanks

Not much available for the original 540 setup. Truth is that secondary is subpar and the primary was just a stop gap by Yamaha because they didn't have anything good enough to do the job. Tuning parts are basically NA. Aftermarket Comet stuff never worked all that well. Some had some luck but without the secondary shaft that allowed a Cat roller secondary or Polaris you were limited.

In 1995 Yamaha finally came out with a good combination in primary/secondary clutches that not only offered easy tuning but was strong and had many tuning options. The same basic setup is still being used today.

The pics I put up are an 87 IMP stock drag sled that is running a primary/secondary setup off of a 95 Vmax-600. Great clutches, lots of tuning options and strong. A stock setup will be close for a 540 but will need some engagement increase to get to the 540's 4500rpm. You will need to do some tuning to be perfect and I don't have a trail setup for you as we don't use it that way but if you find a primary and secondary off of a 95 or 96 Vmax 500 or 600 you will be close to start.

The 95 or 96 500/600 is the only secondary with the correct spline depth to work with the stock 540 secondary shaft. The belt number in the one pic is what will be needed to make these clutches work on a 540. Yamaha does not make a belt that will work.

Good Luck, opsled

Attachments

• IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 9
It's been many many years since I had my 540 Vmax. I ran what Riechard Yamaha called a dyno tune clutch kit on my Vmax for aggressive trail riding. I do remember I ran a 102 Comet primary set up to engage at 4200 and the secondary was stock with a bit more wind. Also ran their carb specs, made a huge difference. Sure wish I could remember the specs. I do remember the 102 had problems on a trip so we bought and installed a 108, could never get the performance out of it. Rebuilt and put the 102 back on.

Not much available for the original 540 setup. Truth is that secondary is subpar and the primary was just a stop gap by Yamaha because they didn't have anything good enough to do the job. Tuning parts are basically NA. Aftermarket Comet stuff never worked all that well. Some had some luck but without the secondary shaft that allowed a Cat roller secondary or Polaris you were limited.

In 1995 Yamaha finally came out with a good combination in primary/secondary clutches that not only offered easy tuning but was strong and had many tuning options. The same basic setup is still being used today.

The pics I put up are an 87 IMP stock drag sled that is running a primary/secondary setup off of a 95 Vmax-600. Great clutches, lots of tuning options and strong. A stock setup will be close for a 540 but will need some engagement increase to get to the 540's 4500rpm. You will need to do some tuning to be perfect and I don't have a trail setup for you as we don't use it that way but if you find a primary and secondary off of a 95 or 96 Vmax 500 or 600 you will be close to start.

The 95 or 96 500/600 is the only secondary with the correct spline depth to work with the stock 540 secondary shaft. The belt number in the one pic is what will be needed to make these clutches work on a 540. Yamaha does not make a belt that will work.

Good Luck, opsled

Beauty machine!

Back