Primary clutch weight question

Over reving @ wot.

Thanks. The symptom I'm having is that the sled doesn't maintain speed in the 30-35mph range when riding on soft, mealy, or bumpy trails. I have to constantly blip the throttle and up the rpms to ride in that mph range which is where I do a lot of my riding. When riding on a hard packed road, lake, or trail, this isn't a problem and I can maintain my desired speed.

I'm not a clutching expert but it feels like if there were just a bit more weight in the primary, this issue could be remedied. Are my instincts correct or is my issue indicative of another clutching issue.

Is your sled stock ? With all stock jetting and clutching ?

No, sled is piped and has different primary spring, rivets, and jetting vs stock.

Jetting seems right, plugs are a nice cocoa brown and the sled isn't loading up.

When on a hard packed surface sled will cruise at 30-35mph @5500rpm but when on a soft, mealy trail sled will do 20-25mph at same rpms and can't maintain 30-35 unless I'm getting on the throttle constantly.

Last edited:
Does it seem like its upshifting too fast in the loose stuff?
If so, I would tighten the secondary twist 10 to 20 more and retry.

Does it seem like its upshifting too fast in the loose stuff?
If so, I would tighten the secondary twist 10 to 20 more and retry.

I think it feels like the opposite and like it isn't upshifting fast enough which is why I have to get on the throttle to get it to upshift and make more power and when I do the rpms surge to 6500-7000 or so, I get to my desired speed (30-35), ease off the throttle, rpms drop and so does speed, dropping down to the 25mph range. And again, this is only in the soft stuff, but since conditions are soft 90% of the time it makes riding frustrating.

I'm thinking like Murder Yamaha is and also would add a bit more tension on the secondary spring. When you get on it it is downshifting to a "lower gear". I used to bump up the tension on my old exciter when snow conditions were such that it was off trail powder riding (loads the motor) or wet heavy snow. When riding good traction groomed trails I would drop the tension back down, it didn't need to "hold the lower gear" in that kind of stuff.
My thought is the soft snow is dragging on the track and loading the sled more so that the speed is reduced, so you have to give her some rpm's to maintain your normal 35 mph, yet the secondary is letting is be shifted into a "higher gear" so it requires a decent amount of throttle to get it to shift down and get the torque to pull better mph.
You probably will see higher rpm's to maintain 35 mph, it will simply be required to overcome the softer snow putting more load on the sled, but having higher secondary tension should help it to maintain a lower gear and overcome it more easily without you needing to gas it so much.
Worse case scenario we are wrong and you simply bump the secondary back to where it was. I can't remember for sure, but believe I ran either 60° or 70° on good traction trails and bumped up to 70° or 80° in heavier stuff. Hopefully you have the chart for whatever color secondary spring you have to know which settings are which. I can still remember that my 93 Exciter ll SX had a pink secondary spring and the chart for it was C-A-B down the left side and then 4-1-2-3 across the top.
I suppose it could be the primary, but I think that would be the belt slipping from the extra load the soft snow is putting on it and the clutch would be getting pretty darn warm if that were happening.

Last edited:
when was primary clutch spring last replaced? might be getting tired/weak. those conditions will reveal a weak spring and i have a sled that does similar when it gets weak.

Thanks for the detailed response! I think the secondary is set to 60 right now. Easy enough to test a little more tension to see if it helps and not a big deal to put back if not.

when was primary clutch spring last replaced? might be getting tired/weak. those conditions will reveal a weak spring and i have a sled that does similar when it gets weak.

The spring was replaced a couple years ago when the primary was fully rebuilt and now has about 2500 miles on it.

ok. just a dumb cheap thing to check as mine was under warentee at the time and dealer could not fix the issue. i got pissed and threw a new oe spring in it and it cured it.

ok. just a dumb cheap thing to check as mine was under warentee at the time and dealer could not fix the issue. i got pissed and threw a new oe spring in it and it cured it.

For sure a good thing to do.. Let me ask this, would putting a slightly stiffer secondary spring in accomplish the same thing as increasing twist?

Yes, but I wouldn’t. The twist adjustment is easier to do in steps, and be more in control in my opinion.

To a point, but not much rpm available with just twist.
You may be lucky to see much difference there, rpm wise...

To a point, but not much rpm available with just twist.
You may be lucky to see much difference there, rpm wise...

Ok, thanks. So, I tried finding a secondary settings chart for the 95 Vmax's, thought it'd be an easy find... Nope. Any chance you know of where I can find these. Secondary spring and helix is stock.

Back