Primary clutch weight question

Ok, there is a update for the needles with those pipes, on that sled I think.
Couple of Bucks posted something about it once I think.
I will direct him here.
The needles being too rich or lean would do what you are describing.

Ok, there is a update for the needles with those pipes, on that sled I think.
Couple of Bucks posted something about it once I think.
I will direct him here.
The needles being too rich or lean would do what you are describing.

Yeah, I've got the jetting down pretty good. Made the updates per Yamaha with the Q8 nozzles, dropped one size on the mains, and lowered the needle to the correct position. Plugs are a nice cardboard brown and my gas mileage is fantastic for a 25 year old 600 Yamaha twin, 13-14+mpg depending on temps and how hard I'm riding.

Q8s are sorely needed on the 94/5 Max's.
When you are at that point when you are on and off the throttle, blip the choke without moving the throttle. I'm betting RPMs will climb slightly.

Q8s are sorely needed on the 94/5 Max's.
When you are at that point when you are on and off the throttle, blip the choke without moving the throttle. I'm betting RPMs will climb slightly.

Bucks, I have the Q8s. Opening the choke causes the sled to bog and totally lose power. The sled isn't starved for fuel, what I'm dealing with is definitely clutch related. Wish it were jetting, easier for me to tinker with. Not so good with clutches.

Last edited:
Got-cha.
Do you have a shim?

Shim on the needle or in the primary or secondary?

I have the little plastic washers/shims for the needles. Originally, needles were in the middle position, dropped them to the 2.5 position, still very rich, dropped them to #2, better but still very rich when temps above 20*, dropped them to the 1.5 position and that turned out to be the sweet spot for me. Plugs are nice and cardboard brown, the engine doesn't load up and that fuel burble is around 30mph is very much minimized.

For primary clutching, it has a PPP primary, unaware if there are any shims in the primary and I don't know what rivets are in the weights. The primary was rebuilt by my dealer a couple years ago and I'm not confident any tech working there had any clue of what settings to follow regarding rivets, shims, etc.

For secondary clutching, I believe it's the stock spring set to 40*.

Earlier you said 60°. I wanna say that I really liked 70° most of the time and I jumped to 80 when snow was heavy.
If you're at 40° I feel that is way too low. Try 70° and see how you like it. Every sled I've owned I've settled around 70°, give or take 10°. Playing with the secondary twist is just a way to slightly fine tune how long it "holds the gear" before shifting out.
It's not huge or anything, but there is a "seat of the pants" difference.

Earlier you said 60°. I wanna say that I really liked 70° most of the time and I jumped to 80 when snow was heavy.
If you're at 40° I feel that is way too low. Try 70° and see how you like it. Every sled I've owned I've settled around 70°, give or take 10°. Playing with the secondary twist is just a way to slightly fine tune how long it "holds the gear" before shifting out.

It's not huge or anything, but there is a "seat of the pants" difference.

Yeah, I thought 60* was the stock setting but after reviewing the clutch setting docs that murder sent through, it appears the stock setting is 40*, and I haven't touched the secondary, it's stock. "Holding the gear" is exactly what I feel it needs, but looks like I'll have to wait till next season to do any testing, sadly it looks like the season is over here..

It was a primary clutch shim I was talking about. I was wanting to upset your current clutch set up(on the cheap). To see if your springs are an even fight with each other. That cheap little shim would change the balance of power between those two springs.

Resurfacing this thread in case the info will help anyone else.

Was finally able to get out and test increased tension on the secondary spring. After taking off the helix I found that the spring was set to 50*, not the stock 40*. I increased to 60* and that did the trick, sled is running much smoother. Temps were mid 20s today, trails bumpy and snow soft and mealy, a perfect combo for the issue I was having. Sled now holds power/rpms and I'm able to keep a steady 30-35mph through the bumps and soft snow without having to constantly blip the throttle - a much improved riding experience.

Back