New guy helix question.

Charlie P

Hi new guy here. Rode and worked on my own machines but has been many years ago. I'll be 70 here in the near future and memory isn't what it once was. Anyways I bought a 2002 Vmax 600 ER and have been going over it. Rode it a bit when I bought it around Madison,Wi. a couple weeks ago. The machine is all stock so far, runs real good but seems to me my old 95 600 Vmax 2 cyc. was much stronger. I did add the GYT twin pipes and a Reichard carb and clutch kits. It would out run most SX 700s across the lake back then. Anyways I picked up a Hauck 45/39 helix pretty cheap, but can't find any info on it. I'm much heavier than I was when I was riding before. Would this 45/39 be better than the 47 that came on the sled stock?

I purchased an 04 Warrior earlier this year and rode it a couple days around St. Germain first week in Feb. It was way too much sled for me, but it did have a lot of guts. Just maybe this sled seems very slow compared to it. I always thought that a longer track machine was better, but I found that it was much harder to control. It was pretty hard for me to turn without using the throttle. I had duel 8" carbides on it to start out with and changed them out for single 6" and they seemed better.

Thanks Charlie.

That helix is kind of an oddball. Throw it on next time your up north and see what you think.
As far as steering goes, have you sucked up the limiter straps. It sounds like you need to see somewhere around 3 or 4 more threads than what you can see now. By doing this the ski pressure will increase and you'll be able to steer better.
IMG_0970.jpg
https://partstream.arinet.com/Mobil...Lwg3Xeyf091Togd07fJvRl1qqfeCwJ9MUzHdiqE1.html

Last edited:
That helix is kind of an oddball. Throw it on next time your up north and see what you think.
As far as steering goes, have you sucked up the limiter straps. It sounds like you need to see somewhere around 3 or 4 more threads than what you can see now. By doing this the ski pressure will increase and you'll be able to steer better.
View attachment 65773
https://partstream.arinet.com/Mobil...Lwg3Xeyf091Togd07fJvRl1qqfeCwJ9MUzHdiqE1.html
It was too hard to turn for me the way it was. The sled was much heavier than I expected, and I don't have the strength anymore. I think a lot of it was the 136" track. This 600 is more to my liking.

welcome!

you could do a couple of the cheap/free mods from the tec pages like the reed stopper notch and drilling the silencer to wake it up a bit. ski rubber mod is a good one as well to help with handling.

hard to get a 2 stoke to pull like the 4 stroke but depending on conditions the 2 stroke can be faster because of its lighter weight. seen that with bros 02 viper 136 vs my 05 rx war on the long lake runs. powder run, viper was ahead. packed trail, rx would reel him in and leave him behind and both sleds where clutched to be corner to corner monsters without studs.

I don't expect the 600 to run with the Warrior. The 600 handles and steers much better for me. I also just picked up a 2001 SXR 700 with 8000 miles on it. The machine is in pretty good shape, but wish it had reverse on it. Every body want $400.00 or more for a reverse kit, that's ridicules. Heck I can buy a complete sled for 500 bucks. That's what these guys are doing. These older machines are worth more in parts. Anyways can't find the info on the 700SXR. Whats the difference between the v max and the SXR?

Can the springs on the shocks be changed to be more like the Vmax? It looks like the SXR has better shocks under it. Or are the better shocks valving causing it to be stiffer? Want to get it set up right this summer, as we don't get much snow where I live and don't want to work on it when we go North. Sure wish there was some info on the SXR some where besides in peoples heads.

Thanks

I think springs and valving are stiffer on SXR shocks.
Vmax shocks are same length, so you could put them on the SXR if you wanted,

Back