1988 Phazer Deluxce Project

Topgun

Hi All,
New but not new to this site. Used to be a past VIP member but was away for awhile due to back issues and I guess my account was deleted. Used to go by Greasemonkey. Any way, I did a search but couldn't find what I needed. I am restoring a 1988 Phazer Deluxe. It wasn't running right when I bought it, guy said fuel system needs cleaning. OK no big deal, done this a thousand times. So I cleaned out the carbs and replaced everything, rebuilt the fuel pump, new fuel filter in tank, new fuel lines, disconnected the TORS, the usual. Started it up and after about 10-15 seconds it starts revving uncontrollably. Shut it down, check all cables, same thing. Go thru carbs again, same. Also sounds like its running on 1 cylinder, pull wires and PTO side is dead. Compression is 150 both cylinders. Pull off clutch. Take off the plate for the oil pump drive, it's real wet. Crank it over and gas flies out of the seal. There's my problem. Now here's my questions. #1, the gear on the crank, does that just come off with a puller and if so, when reinstalling, just tap it on with a sleeve of some sort? I assume there's a built it stop boss on the crank? and #2, my seal looks like its in backwards! The spring side is facing out, towards the clutch. I always thought the spring side faces the side to seal. I have another motor that I took apart to check and that one was facing in. The parts schematics and my not too crystal clear shop manual looks like its facing out like mine. Which way is right? Finally, #3, what lubes the drive gears for the oil pump? Are they dry? Is it supposed to be packed with grease? Is there an oil that goes in there?
Thanks, sorry so long, wanted to get all details in.

Hi All,
New but not new to this site. Used to be a past VIP member but was away for awhile due to back issues and I guess my account was deleted. Used to go by Greasemonkey. Any way, I did a search but couldn't find what I needed. I am restoring a 1988 Phazer Deluxe. It wasn't running right when I bought it, guy said fuel system needs cleaning. OK no big deal, done this a thousand times. So I cleaned out the carbs and replaced everything, rebuilt the fuel pump, new fuel filter in tank, new fuel lines, disconnected the TORS, the usual. Started it up and after about 10-15 seconds it starts revving uncontrollably. Shut it down, check all cables, same thing. Go thru carbs again, same. Also sounds like its running on 1 cylinder, pull wires and PTO side is dead. Compression is 150 both cylinders. Pull off clutch. Take off the plate for the oil pump drive, it's real wet. Crank it over and gas flies out of the seal. There's my problem. Now here's my questions. #1, the gear on the crank, does that just come off with a puller and if so, when reinstalling, just tap it on with a sleeve of some sort? I assume there's a built it stop boss on the crank? and #2, my seal looks like its in backwards! The spring side is facing out, towards the clutch. I always thought the spring side faces the side to seal. I have another motor that I took apart to check and that one was facing in. The parts schematics and my not too crystal clear shop manual looks like its facing out like mine. Which way is right? Finally, #3, what lubes the drive gears for the oil pump? Are they dry? Is it supposed to be packed with grease? Is there an oil that goes in there?
Thanks, sorry so long, wanted to get all details in.

Account was not deleted, did you try and contact me to look? I still have the user with an email of jkrogalla@northlc.com, is that you?

No. That is not me. I guess someone else is using my old username. Like I said, I was away for awhile. Just went back and it was probably 2012 since I last was active. I think I had over 300 posts at the time. Email address was/is: leonrubba@comcast.net. No, I did not try to contact you, I guess it wouldn't have mattered at this point if someone else is using my original username.

Back