Long track SRX clutch set up

norwegian

This is a set up for a 2001 SRX extended to 136 with 1,5 lugs
Primary: Hc weights, hc red spring, approx 3,5 grams in heel, approx 7,8 grams in tip.

Secondary: Dalton 50/36 helix, hauck red secondary spring @70 deg.

22/38 gearing (It has a reverse box, probably from a viper)
Dupont slides

Jetted to -18c for the elevation

Results: 163 km/h (101mph) as shown on geotracker gps app for android.
Distance: Probably 900 meters 2952 feet, on snow covered river.
Conditions: Like someone just plowed a field and you ride on it, big big (snow) dust cloud behind you.

Other notes: Engagement 4500-4550 rpm
Real quick from corner to corner.
Lifts skis, even without adjustable transfer rods
Rider/owner is warned about the quickness and snappiness.

Please ask if you have any questions.

Not sure why I didn't put as many washers as I normally do, but the result was a fun factor of 11. I could easily add the remaining washers to get a 4200 engagement speed.

It blew the belt twice with this gearing and 8 tooth drivers, so it has 9 tooth.

Do you think the belt blew because of the smaller drivers, or the gearing, or both? Those belts don't blow easily normally.

Too low of a gearing with 8 t drivers and those gears. The belt went over the primary sheaves and got caught on the heels of the heelclickers.

That makes me nervous. I have my sxr with 8 tooth, and 23/39 gearing. Which is damn close to what you had. I'm gonna look closely at my belt now

Take a look at the gearing calculator. the srx had way more power than needed to overrev that

The SRX had a theoretical top speed of 94 mph when it blew the belt twice. It also had a steep helix to try to keep the rpms in check. What happened is that the belt went down in the secondary right away. Needless to say the srx overpowered that even with that track. It now has a theoretical top speed of 105,7 mph. No worries of it climing out of the primary now. The gearing ratio with the 8 tooth (88% of the 9 t) drivers was 1,5353, and now it is

Last edited:
I usually do bottom gear divided by top gear for 9 tooth. I just multiply by 1.125 for 8 tooth. 22/38=1.72 with 9tooth. 22/38=1.94 with 8tooth. Mine with 23/39 gear and 8tooth is at 1.90. I really like it geared this way, but dont wanna blow through belts.

True, i got this the wrong way. 1,90 is kind of low, but it might go well, because your sled does not have the power of an srx to overpower the track and clutches.

Back