SRX 700 Upgrade Questions

Killswitch79

Hi everyone. I bought a '98 SRX 700 last year. After a few rides and a bit of reading, I decided I really love the power and handling on the trail, and I want to keep the machine and do a few minor upgrades to it to make it more comfortable.
Three things I have in mind are.. a Boss seat, handlebar risers, and extend the track to 136".
Here are my questions:
  1. How high should the risers be to match the Boss seat height?
  2. What mods to the cables etc are needed for the required new handlebar height?
  3. How long is the sled overall with a 136" track and tunnel kit? My trailer with the gate closed is 10ft long. The sled has to fit in there after the extension.

One other thing. I was really late before finally getting out to ride this year, and the machine seemed to drop a cylinder intermittently at any RPM between idle and hard acceleration. I'm hoping that the carbs just need to be cleaned. Is there anything else I should check before tearing into them? The TORS was by-passed (I reconnected it!!) so that isn't the cause.

Thanks in advance for any input!

I can't answer too many of your questions, but a couple of thoughts.
Sometimes you can gain enough length on the cables by just re-routing them. Finding a set of Mnt. SRX cables should work too. I would think Mnt. Viper cables would be an option too.
When it acted like a cylinder dropped out...did you have to release the throttle completely to get it to run right again? The reason I ask is I'm thinking that the TORS was bypassed for a reason. One of the switches is probably failing and the previous owner simply bypassed it rather than replace the failing switch. In other words the TORS was probably bypassed for a reason and could be the issue.

Hi everyone. I bought a '98 SRX 700 last year. After a few rides and a bit of reading, I decided I really love the power and handling on the trail, and I want to keep the machine and do a few minor upgrades to it to make it more comfortable.
Three things I have in mind are.. a Boss seat, handlebar risers, and extend the track to 136".
Here are my questions:
  1. How high should the risers be to match the Boss seat height?
  2. What mods to the cables etc are needed for the required new handlebar height?
  3. How long is the sled overall with a 136" track and tunnel kit? My trailer with the gate closed is 10ft long. The sled has to fit in there after the extension.

One other thing. I was really late before finally getting out to ride this year, and the machine seemed to drop a cylinder intermittently at any RPM between idle and hard acceleration. I'm hoping that the carbs just need to be cleaned. Is there anything else I should check before tearing into them? The TORS was by-passed (I reconnected it!!) so that isn't the cause.

Thanks in advance for any input!

My '02 SRX with C&A Pro skis, 136" x 1.5" track with Mountain Performance tunnel and skid extension is right at 10'-0" long. My '04 Viper with SLP Mohawk skis and Mountain Performance custom shop upgrades of a long travel skid and 144" track is 10'-3" long. The Viper also has long travel front shocks, Fab Craft trailing arms, mountain seat, risers, etc. Basically a full blown custom job to make a Viper on beyond a factory mountain sled.

Opinion: Forget modding the SRX with increased rider height. That model is a natural slot car race sled for smooth trails. The track extension can improve the ride a little but its hard to notice (I have both set ups). I feel the Viper has better options for off trail and comfort improvements if that is what your after. Either sled, without a skid swap I don't think where will be much ride improvement. The "No Action - Pro Action" skid is what it is.

Yes to the Boss seat and as for a compatible riser a Rox articulating 2" one works good for me.Cables are a little short so if you can get them go with Mountain Viper ones or at the very least later year SRX ones as they are even longer than the stock '98 ones.I bought my 10 ft clamshell from a guy that had a Renegade Doo 136 and said it fit in the trailer,mind you it was right up to the door but it was in.

Back