97 vmax 600sx using WAY too much oil- rebuild the pump?

mtnbkr738

My newer to me vmax 600 SX sled only has 1600 miles on it- its very clean and well kept.

but now its drinking oil way too fast... like emptying the oil tank every tank of gas!

the oil pump IS adjusted correctly- the lines are right on...

Question: do i replace the little oil pump or is there a way to rebuild it?? also where would i buy that from?

any help appreciated! thx!

These pumps were not rebuildable if I remember. When they fail the are designed to run at full. Not sure where to source but any dealer should be able to get you one still.

My newer to me vmax 600 SX sled only has 1600 miles on it- its very clean and well kept.

but now its drinking oil way too fast... like emptying the oil tank every tank of gas!

the oil pump IS adjusted correctly- the lines are right on...

Question: do i replace the little oil pump or is there a way to rebuild it?? also where would i buy that from?

any help appreciated! thx!
The 97's had bad pumps right from the get-go. Yamaha came out with an updated version that says 8CR 02 on the arm.
I bought one of these sleds and had a bad pump right from new.

Ok! so i did the following:

1) bought new oil pump from yamaha. ($249!!!!)
2) put on all new oil lines with clear lines
3) verified no kinks in lines and it was a very nice install
4) verified the mark were right on for the cable setting
5) started engine up... ran it for 60 seconds... did NOT see any oil going through the clear line from the tank to the pump.
???
Do i need to run some premix.. to give it time to bleed the line of air... or do i need to bleed the line and then hook up to the pump???

any help appreciated - Thanks!

From what I can tell you have air in the line now? Yes I think you need to bleed the line first.

Ok! so i did the following:

1) bought new oil pump from yamaha. ($249!!!!)
2) put on all new oil lines with clear lines
3) verified no kinks in lines and it was a very nice install
4) verified the mark were right on for the cable setting
5) started engine up... ran it for 60 seconds... did NOT see any oil going through the clear line from the tank to the pump.
???
Do i need to run some premix.. to give it time to bleed the line of air... or do i need to bleed the line and then hook up to the pump???

any help appreciated - Thanks!

There is a bleed screw on the pump. Open it.
It takes a 8mm wrench.

There is a bleed screw on the pump. Open it.
It takes a 8mm wrench.

OK so its the gold screw in the bottom of the photo. (which is the top of the pump) correct??

have engine running, or just open it and let it sit for a while and let gravity do its job?

s-l1600.jpg

Keep in touch, I bought an identical sled in december. Had about 3600 km on it, plus plus (the speedo joint at the drive axle was busted).
My mechanic is installing a thinner headgasket, srx rear cooler and dupont slides on it. Should go much better than stock.

Crack that bleed screw, gravity will force oil through, wait until oil is seen coming out bleed screw then tighten.

Just figured out that the oil pump on my wife's 98 VMAX 600 is bad. Does anyone know what the failure is on these oil pumps? I can only find a new oil pump for about $250-$300, seems crazy to spend that kind of money on a sled that is only worth $1000-$1200, so I thought about taking a shot at fixing it before spending hundreds off dollars.

From what I understand the only options are to find a good used pump (preferably the upgraded 8CR version) , buy a new one (worth almost as much as the sled) or run premix. My 94 VMax 600 is sucking back oil. Only paid $250 for the sled so when this tank is empty she’ll be running premix.

Back